Bring Down the Hoe

Comincia dall'inizio

"Your mom's gonna find somebody who really cares about her," Aria promised as Hanna visibly stressed out.

"She already found someone who cared," Hanna retorted. "Why can't you tell your mom to ask the judge to get back on that case?" she added, looking over at Spencer.

"'Cause 'A' took her down, Hanna," Spencer replied sadly.

"Spencer, talk to her," Hanna demanded. "Please. My mom trusts her. She needs her."

"I know, and my mom is not deserting her," Spencer swore. "She just- she has to figure out what kind of role she can play without compromising your mom's defense."

"What is she doing here?" Emily asked suddenly, making them all look up.

"Who?" Isabel frowned.

"Lieutenant Tanner," Emily replied, and Isabel noticed her walking in.

"Why is she at our school?" Hanna agreed as she craned her neck.

"Doubt it's for the baked ziti," Spencer muttered, sipping her water.

"Hello, ladies. May I join?" Tanner asked as she stopped at their table. Without waiting for an answer, she sat down next to Spencer. "I hear you and your mother moved in with a neighbor," she added, looking at Emily. "Must be nice not having to use a desk as an ironing board. Have you been back to your house since the accident?"

"No, I haven't," Emily replied, shaking her head.

"Well I'm just here, ladies, to remind you that the local PD is still investigating," Tanner assured them.

"Did they find out who was driving that car?" Isabel frowned, certain it was CeCe.

"No," Tanner said. "Not yet. Oh, but they did find something interesting while they were sorting through the wreckage."

"What? What was it?" Spencer pressed as they all stared at Tanner.

"A shoe," Tanner responded, nodding. "A muddy shoe... That, believe it or not, matches the shoe prints from the Wilden crime scene..." Isabel glanced worriedly over at Hanna, who was picking at her bottom lip nervously. "Which falls under my jurisdiction."

"Do they know whose shoe it is?" Emily asked.

"Well, we spoke to your mother, Emily. We know it's not hers," Tanner went on, and Hanna picked up her bag. "And we have ways of testing these things out. You know, DNA and stuff. Something wrong, Hanna?" she added, turning to Hanna, who had gotten up.

"No, I'm just-" Hanna stammered helplessly. "I have to use the restroom." She rushed off, leaving the girls staring awkwardly at Tanner.

"Geez, I hope I didn't ruin anyone's lunch," she frowned.

When she left, Isabel noticed Mike in the corner, kind of looming there. Apparently, so did everyone else, as they got up and left.

"Hey," he said as he walked over.

"Hi," she replied, making room for him to sit down. "What's up?"

"I'm sorry if I came off as a bit too forward the last time we were... out, but I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Hoe Down with me?" Mike stuttered nervously. It was cute to see him like this, and Isabel sincerely wished she liked him.

So, to try and conjure up that feeling, she said, "Yeah. Sure."

He smiled at her, but all she could muster was a grimace.

-

Isabel and Mike went shopping later for outfits for the Hoe Down.

"Do you think blue or brown looks better on me?" Mike asked, holding up a baby blue vest and a brown one.