The First Secret

"Are you kidding? Spencer bleeds caffeine

"Are you kidding? Spencer bleeds caffeine." -Aria Montgomery

-OCTOBER 26th, 2008-

The six girls strutted through the neighborhood, discussing Halloween costumes.

"So what do you think, Em? Should Hanna be 'Cute Britney' or 'Bald Britney'?" Ali asked.

"If she wants to be, 'Cute Britney'," Emily said quietly.

"Aria?" Ali sighed, turning to her.

"She's not gonna shave her head," Aria laughed. A light breeze blew her hair around.

"Spencer, you're worse than my father," Ali huffed at Spencer, who was glued to her phone, barely paying attention.

"Sorry. But I did just procure nine votes from the debate team," Spencer grinned excitedly, pushing her glasses farther up her nose.

"Wait, that's a good thing, right?" Hanna frowned.

"Yeah. And 'procured' means to obtain with special effort," Spencer explained. "And 'obtain' means to-"

"Are you gonna recite the entire dictionary?" Ali snapped, and Spencer hesitated.

"I think that Hanna should be who she wants to be," she finally shrugged.

"Isabel?" Ali sighed, turning on her.

"If she wants to be 'Cute Britney', I say, go for it," Isabel nodded. She shoved her hands into her sweaters' pockets.

"Fine," Ali replied. "But you better wear the tightest skinny pants you can fit your big butt into." Suddenly, Em's phone beeped.

"Ben?" Aria asked.

"He's all about me going as a sexy cop for Halloween," Emily agreed. "But I'm thinking Indian girl."

Right as she finished her sentence, Noel's car pulled up, filled with jocks.

"What a shame," Ali sighed. "All that testosterone and not a sheep in sight."

"Careful, Alison," Noel warned. "I get your jokes, but someday you might meet a guy who doesn't." Isabel rolled her eyes at him. Noel was such a big jerk. "So am I gonna see you at my party on Friday?" he asked, turning to the others. Hell no.

"Um, I didn't know we were invited," Aria stuttered, pushing a strand of her hair that was being blown around behind her ear. Poor Aria. She was under Noel's spell. To be truthful, Noel had made tons of moves on Isabel, but she knew better than to date that ass.

"You're Ali's friends, right?" he grinned. The driver honked, and he finished up. "Come prepared to be scared." And with that, they drove off.

The four others squealed and turned to Isabel and Ali. So naïve.