To Kill a Mocking Girl

"Yeah, I heard that

"Yeah, I heard that. I'm standing right next to you." - Aria Montgomery

"Whose idea was this, again?" Hanna grumbled. They were traipsing through the woods, about to make a mini- memorial for Alison.

"Emily's mom," Isabel sighed, nearly twisting her ankle for the fifth time today.

"The shed was me," Emily explained. "My mom just said we should do something for us."

"Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?" Hanna groaned.

"They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats," Aria corrected her.

"Whatever!" Hanna snapped. "They're small and annoying, and they're flying up my nose!"

"Well, they're attracted to your perfume," Spencer replied. "And your hair product. And your lip gloss."

"So, what are you saying, I attract flies?" Hanna asked.

"Gnats," Aria repeated.

"Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?" Emily sighed.

"Probably cause it is," Isabel muttered, a tree branch hitting her in the face.

"No, this is it," Spencer assured them. "I remember that tree. It's the halfway point. There's 136 steps left to the shed."

"Have you been out here since...Alison?" Emily asked.

"Me?" Spencer scoffed. "No. No way."

"But you remember that tree," Aria pointed out.

"You guys, it's not that weird," Hanna said. "I mean, we came out in eighth grade, like every day...even after."

"I think that this is totally the wrong place to do this," Spencer huffed. "Whatever you call it...shrine."

"It's not a shrine," Isabel protested.

"It's just a place to remember Alison," Emily added. "What's wrong with that?"

"Doing it out here makes it look like we have something to hide," Spencer said, stepping on a branch.

"You're worried what other people think?" Emily frowned.

"And you aren't?" Isabel scoffed.

"Yeah, aren't you?" Spencer asked. "Do you really want to give that creepy detective more reasons to question us?"

"Hanna, why're you so quiet?" Isabel sighed.

"I'm trying to keep the bugs in my nose and out of my mouth," Hanna explained.

"You're allowed to have an opinion on this," Emily remarked.

"You want my opinion?" Hanna snapped. "I say we hold off, and not remember her til we know for sure she's not still here."