The Guilty Girl's Handbook

Start from the beginning

"Spencer, why don't you take Aria and Isabel upstairs for a minute?" Mrs. Hastings sighed, looking over at Spencer.

"No," Hanna said. "No, I want them here."

"Hanna, we entered a plea of not guilty, but the judge refused to grant bail," Mrs. Hastings replied warily.

"No," Hanna whispered.

"Why?" Spencer scoffed in disbelief.

"First degree murder of a police officer, a district attorney who doesn't want to make any more mistakes," Mrs. Hastings shrugged. "But we're definitely going to appeal."

"Okay, and how long is that gonna take?" Hanna frowned.

Mrs. Hastings sighed again. "The papers will be on the judge's desk this afternoon. But some things have been put in motion."

"What sort of things?" Aria asked.

"Hanna, your mother is going to be transferred to another location," Mrs. Hastings replied.

"What location?" Isabel pressed so that Hanna wouldn't have to answer.

"She's being remanded to the state prison in Muncy until the trial," Mrs. Hastings explained, glancing her way. "They'll move her tomorrow."

"God, you promised," Hanna scoffed as Aria put a hand on her shoulder.

"Honey, I'm sorry," Mrs. Hastings said as Hanna got up and stormed out. Aria followed soon after, and Isabel and Spencer did as well.

-

When they got upstairs, Hanna was sitting in Spencer's desk chair, and they took a seat near her.

"I should be the one in jail, not my mom," Hanna muttered, not meeting anyone's eyes.

"Hanna, you didn't do anything wrong," Aria assured her.

"Yeah, somebody killed Wilden, and 'A' is taking advantage of that," Isabel agreed.

"It's not your fault," Spencer added as Hanna finally looked over at them.

"My mom went out there to protect me, how is this not my fault?" she snapped. Her phone rang, and she sighed. "It's Caleb. I can't talk to him right now."

"Hanna, my mom is a really great lawyer," Spencer reminded her.

"Well, then why isn't my mom out?" Hanna shot back.

But Spencer was unfazed by her bluntness. "Because it's just one hearing. She'll win the case. She always does."

"Always?" Hanna replied coldly. Spencer was silent.

"Okay, so do you wanna go to school? Or not go?" Aria asked.

"No you guys go. I'll be okay," Hanna mumbled.

"Are you sure?" Isabel asked worriedly.

"I'm gonna have to see my dad," Hanna huffed like it were obvious. "If my mom doesn't come back, then I have to move in with him and the gruesome twosome." She sighed. "You guys go. I'll be fine."

"Okay," Aria nodded, and they got up.

"Spence, tell your mom I'm sorry if I yelled at her," Hanna said as they gathered their stuff.

"She's an attorney, okay? She's used to it," Spencer assured her.

"A really good one," Hanna agreed.

"Okay, well, call us if you need anything, all right?" Isabel replied.

Hanna just nodded again. "Yeah. I'll be good."

-

Later, in school, Isabel was talking with Caleb once again.