Secrets

New York City; October 31st, 19:26 EDT
-

Outside the American Museum Natural History with special banners stating: 'History of War Display', 'Art Exhibition', and 'The Golden Era of Art' two police cars sit with their sirens on. Inside the museum, the police are looking over a broken display case.

Detective: "So, the perp bypasses your alarm system and disables every security camera in the place to steal a sword?"

The Detective asks, writing it down but still sound skeptical as he looks to the curator.

Curator: "Not a sword, Detective Daniels. The sword of Beowulf. It's priceless. Legend says it provides great power to the pure of heart. There's even an Old English incantation that's supposed to summon the power. Abanan aful Beowulf!"

The detective looks down at what he has written on his notepad. 'Sword of Beowulf', 'Priceless', and 'Great power'. He crosses out the last one.

Detective: "Great. Look, the N.Y.P.D. Will do its best, but the thief is obviously long gone."

???: "Let's not rush to judgment."

A voice from above them, but definitely still in the building. The source is a young man with dark brown hair parted down the middle away from his face and down his back, dressed in a grey trench coat with cold shoulders, black fingerless gloves, black pants, and black boots. His most recognizable feature is the red claw marks through his left eye and eyebrow.

???: "Mediocrity such as this is never far from Harm."

He drops down from the second story banister to the ground level in front of them. Holding what looks like a sword, but rather than a traditional scabbard it looks like a massive forearm.

Officer 1: "Freeze!"

Officer 2: "Drop the sword!"

Officer 3: "Down on the ground!"

They shout as they pull out their guns.

Harm: "Still, Harm should be grateful. Harm did need the words."

He says, holding the arm in one hand and the handle of the sword in the other.

Harm: "Abanan aful Beowulf."

The hand opens up instantly releasing the sword. The curator takes a step back, the police hold still. The sword crackles with gold lightning as he pulls it from the arm. Once it's fully released the sword seems to be nearly surrounded by the golden-red light.

A mark appears over his heart and the same gold lightning passes from it across his chest and down the arm that holds the sword away from him. Once it dissipates from his arm the sword glows. With a sharp smile, he swings his sword arm at the cops, and lightning swings form the sword's guard to the cops taking all of them down in one hit.

Harm: "How monumentally unsatisfying. Harm and the sword will require greater challenges."

He says as he walks towards the curator.

Curator: "Bu-but the legend. Only the pure of heart should be able to summon that power."

The sword begins to glow again as the man runs out of room to back up.

Harm: "The legend said the heart must be pure."

He raises it up in front of his chest, pointing it at him.

Harm: "It never said pure good."

It glowed again, and the man screamed as the light enveloped the room. Only Harm walked out of it. Unopposed he walked out of the Museum and cut through the crime scene tape.
.
.
.
.
.
.