Homefront

Gotham City; September 22nd, 6:00 EDT
-

Inside an apartment complex an alarm buzzes, 6am showing on the screen. A hand reaches out and smacks the button to turn it off. Inside the room are two beds, only one of them is occupied. The state of the purple sheets on both beds giving that away.

Artemis' hand dives back under the blankets as her dark eyes open, looking over at the empty bed, then up slightly to the Alice in Wonderland poster on the wall. A memory overcomes her actual sight. An equally dark-skinned younger teen, but with dark hair that fades into the shadows of the nightscape, walks in front of the poster.

A crossbody bag on one shoulder, a black halter tank top and dark pants make her really hard to distinguish. She drops her bag onto her bed. A young Artemis, hair done up in her usual ponytail, wearing jean overalls and a white three-quarter length top, holding a bear in her lap begs with her sister.

Y.Artemis: "Please. Please don't go!"

Jade pulls the drawer open.

Jade: "Sorry sis. Mom's not getting out of prison anytime soon."

She takes a stack of clothes out of the drawer, her voice turning angry.

Jade: "And I refuse to live in this house with just Dad."

Y.Artemis: "Dad and you and me. We need to keep this family from falling apart."

The younger girl's voice cracks as she nearly cries. Jade turns her head, looking ready to say something over her shoulder-

???: "Artemis, get up!"

A woman's voice shouts startling Artemis out of her stupor, she opens her eyes to see a woman who looks a lot like Jade, in a wheelchair, in front of her door. The blonde sits up.

Artemis Mom: "I will not have you late for your first day of school."

Artemis falls back to her pillow, groaning before pulling her blanket over her head.

Gotham Academy
-

In the courtyard Artemis stands by herself, while all the other students seem to be chattering, as she pulls on her short skirt as if that could make it longer. Unlike the other students her tie is loose, the top button undone, and her suit coat not buttoned.

???: "Artemis?"

Another blonde girl, wearing a uniform with a sweater vest instead of a coat, checks as she approaches.

???: "I'm Bette, your new student liaison. Welcome to Gotham Academy."

Artemis: "Thanks. Um, I'm Artemis- but you already knew that."

She struggles through her awkwardness. A short raven-haired blue-eyed boy, his hair slicked back and down, approaches Artemis from the back left. Only catching both Artemis and Bette's attention when he grabs her shoulder and slides up next to her.

???: "We'll laugh about this someday."

He assures, smiling as he snaps a selfie. The flash blinds her just long enough for him to duck out. She looks around unable to find him as the bell rings.

Artemis: "Uh, who was that?"

Bette: "A Freshman. Ignore him."

Behind them a redhead and a another raven haired boy with brown eyes who was slightly taller leans against a pillar.

???: "Dick, what was that about?"

He chuckles familiarly as he walks up next to her.

Dick: "Nothing Barbara, just being friendly to the new girl."