Chapter 30. Duck Pond

Ryan's POV

Tristan picks me up at the house and we head off for the park. 

"What do you want to do today?" He asks me while he turns off the radio. 

"I thought you were planning the day," I say to him. 

"I am and I do have a plan. I just wanted to know if you had any insight on our day." He defends himself. 

"Uh-huh. I don't really care what we do but I heard that the park has a duck pond." I leave the end of my sentence with a hidden suggestion. 

"Alright, I'll definitely take you to the pond. I think they have duck food stuff there so we can even feed them." I nod at him and his goofy smile. 

Tristan texted me last night that he wanted to hang out today, and with nothing else on my schedule, I agreed. 

"You know the other day someone asked me if we were dating." Tristan suddenly says. 

"Really?" 

"Yeah, they said they got the vibe but weren't sure." He turned down a street. 

"My sisters say that I don't show enough emotion to have a relationship," I tell him looking out the window. 

"Well, you shouldn't believe them. Sure you don't show the most emotion in the world but that's just not who you are." He told me. 

I start to get insecure, I mean should I be showing more emotion? How does he even like me when I don't show that I have any interest in him? 

"Hey, I don't care you show more emotion to me than others and I like that. I like that I'm the person you feel comfortable with." 

"Do you want me to show more emotion in public?" I ask him needing to know the answer.

"I only want you to show emotion if that is what you want. Otherwise, it would mean nothing to me." He stopped the car. I looked out to see that we were at one of the park's entrances. I got out before he could open my door. "I hate when you do that."

"Too bad." I smile as he grabs my hand and we walk down the sidewalk trying to find the pond. 

"What is your favorite animal?" He asks me. 

"A. You're very random today. B. I like Giraffes." I told him. 

"I like dogs."

"Let me guess Golden Retriever." I joke with him. 

"Yeah, how did you know?" He asked me seriously. 

"Had a feeling." I purse my lips not wanting to announce that I was teasing him. 

"Oh look they are the ducks." He pointed to a medium-sized pond with a collection of multicolored ducks swimming around. I looked around to see a small announcement board that had a sign for duck feed. I pulled on Tristan's hand, he looked down at me and I pointed towards the duck feed. 

We both walked over. While Tristan figured out how to work the duck feed I read the little paper about the pond and the ducks and fish that live in it. Tristan got some feed and brought us down to the edge of the pond. 

I took a few tablets and threw them in the water. We watched as the ducks swam toward the pellets. A few people were throwing the pellets around the grass of the pond while the ducks on land ate them. 

"Ducks are cute, do you think they are any babies?" Tristan asks me super excited. 

"Ducks hatch in the spring, so no." I regretfully tell him. I feel so bad watching his smile fall. It soon comes back when he spots the playground. 

"Let's go to the swings." He says throwing the rest of the food and dragging me with him. He pops down on one of the swings. "You push me then I'll push you."

"Or we could swing together," I say looking at the empty swing right next to him. 

"Or we could do it my way, which is funner." 

"Funner isn't a word," I tell him but get behind him. 

"So, I came here for a date, not a grammar lesson." I can hear the eye roll. I push him regardless, finding it is hard. 

"God, what do you eat?"

"Are you body-shaming me?" He gasps dramatically. I roll my eyes and continue to try and push him. He doesn't even try to help me, so he doesn't get high in the air. 

"Time to switch, you suck at that." I wordlessly sat down and held onto the chains, scared of how fast he was going to push me. 

He pushes me gently on the swing, talking about random things while he does. He is able to get me a lot higher than I was. Due to the height difference, I am only able to actually hear a part of his ramblings. 

"I like this." He says. I smile and can't help but giggle when he pushes me and runs underneath the swing. 

"You're so childish," I yell down at him. 

"That's why you like me." 

"No that would make me a pervert. I like you since you have abs." His mouth drops down as I laugh at his expression. 

We let the swing stop on its own. Tristan grabs my hand and we go explore the rest of the park walking around and talking about random things. After a few hours hanging out, it starts to get a little chilly and we decide to cut our day. We head back to the car, and Tristan drives me home. 

"Thank you for coming with me today." He says. 

"Of course, I would come. I love hanging out with you." I lean over the center console and press a kiss to his lips. "See you later, text me when you get home." He nods and presses another kiss against my lips. 

I smile getting out of the car. Tristan waits until I get inside and close the door before driving away. 

I walk further inside, I pass by ruby's door on the way to mine. I swear I hear sniffling but when I put my ear to the door I hear nothing.