Chapter Eleven

Being able to open his eyes without pain was the first sign that something was different.

Seeing Alex stare at him as though she had seen a ghost was the second.

Treyan quickly deducted that he was neither a ghost, nor as dead as he previously thought. Though he could sit up in bed, there was a slight twinge down his back like a pulled muscle, and nothing like the excruciating agony he had endured earlier. He rubbed at his eyes to make sure the migraine wasn't lingering and turned his gaze towards his wife.

The look on Alex's face hadn't changed since last he opened his eyes. She was pale, with tears running down her cheeks, and her mouth slightly agape as she stood there, staring.

Treyan opened his mouth to speak, but all that escaped was a cough through his parched throat. The outburst appeared to have startled Alex out of her shock, for she quickly backed away in surprise until she collided with the closed door of the bedroom. He would have asked her for a glass of water, but her hand was on the handle of the door and she sprinted out of the room, screaming incoherently as soon as she was able to exit.

Treyan could do nothing but stare at the empty doorway, boggled by her reaction. He would have chased after her, but he soon found his legs were not ready to perform his bidding. He had lost track of how long he had been in the bed, unable to move, and quickly returned his head to the pillow as he attempted to process the gravity of his current situation.

 He had lost track of how long he had been in the bed, unable to move, and quickly returned his head to the pillow as he attempted to process the gravity of his current situation

Treyan sat on the edge of the bed, listening to the frantic voice of his wife through the door, and the softer voice of the stranger he assumed was her friend. He was naked, but he wouldn't fault either of them for that. In his recent condition, the less they needed to worry about, the better.

He glanced around the room that must have been Alex's bedroom. It was simple, but still had enough personal touches that hinted at it being hers. Treyan smiled to himself slightly, which quickly turned as he realized how he must have put her out being incapacitated for so long. He didn't truly know how long it had been, for to him it felt like an eternity of torment.

He sighed. Nothing was going to be resolved staying in the bedroom any longer. Reluctantly, Treyan braced his arms on the bed next to where he sat and slowly hoisted himself up into a standing position. Waiting to see if his legs would support his weight, he took one step, and then another, towards the chair in the corner where his torn and ragged pants lay waiting. At least someone did the justice of cleaning them, he gratefully smiled as he slowly put them on. He cared not for a shirt, at least for the time being - both women had seen his naked body enough, it was not the time to be modest.

He had been on enough ranging missions to the Borderlands to know how to tread quietly, having trained to scout and, in essence, spy without being detected, and he held tight to the wall as he withdrew from the bedroom and made his approach down the hallway towards the sound of the voices. With the way Alex had retreated from his presence, Treyan decided he needed to assess the situation before he interjected himself. He hovered just outside the entrance to the sitting room while the women spoke.

"... can stay with me if you want?"

"No. No, we can't."

"Alex..."

"I said no! This is my apartment."

"But you're shaking."

"I'm fine!"

"Look, Alex, I think you need a break. You've been going non-stop since you've been back, and it can't be healthy for either you or Sara."

"Crystal—my husband just died. You were there. You called it.

"Yes, but—"

"I kissed him goodbye. And he opened his eyes."

"I... I could have been mistaken."

"No. We were both there. We watched. He was dead."

"So clearly something very wrong is going on here, which is more reason for you and Sara to come stay with me for a few days. You can clear your head, and he- whatever he is—"

"Crystal, enough!"

"Look, I know what I see, and something unnatural is going on here, and the farthest I can get you away from it the better."

Treyan let out the breath and realized he needed to defuse this situation before it fell out of control. He emerged from his hiding place and silently stepped into view within the doorway of the room. His wife sat with her back to him on the simple tan-colored couch, while her blonde friend, whom he vaguely recognized as Crystal, rested in an armchair by her side. Both women were so enthralled in their back and forth dialogue that neither noticed his presence.

"Alex?"

He said her name loud enough that both stopped mid-conversation and turned from their respective places to face him. The look of surprise on their faces was mirrored, as if they both truly believed him to still be deceased. Alex remained a ghastly shade of pale, and he found himself feeling concerned and guilty about her welfare since he had arrived.

Treyan looked to both women and felt quite awkward in his current state. He turned his gaze to his wife, and attempted to remain as neutral as possible, at least while they still had an audience.

"We need to talk."

Alex returned his gaze and was about to respond, when the other woman took it upon herself to answer.

"Damn right you do, and you can start with how you got here, and what the hell you're up to, scaring her like that!"

Now it was Treyan's turn to be dumbfounded, and as he searched for the words, Alex finally spoke up.

"Crystal, I think it's time for you to go."

"What? Alex, you can't be serious."

"We'll talk tomorrow."

"But Alex..."

"Please!" she begged her friend, and something passed between the two that convinced Crystal it was, indeed, time for her to go. Alex gave Treyan a glance as she stood and walked her friend to the door of the apartment. Treyan remained where he stood - just getting there exerted more energy than he realized, and he did not want to impose on his wife's comfort more than he already had.

He heard hushed voices as the two walked to the door, and then the door opened and shut. Locks latched, and soon Alex returned to the hallway where he stood. She looked tired, but there was still something radiant about her that he did all he could to keep from taking her into his arms. Sadly, her body language was enough to keep him at a distance, but he kept his gaze on her tired eyes for as long as she allowed.

She let out a sigh, and an exasperated laugh as though there was nothing else she could do. She motioned toward the kitchen behind her, where he noticed a small table and two chairs.

"Do you want any coffee?"