Chapter Twenty-Five: Window

Start from the beginning

"You only say that because you have the freedom to leave during the day," Cressida said, curtly, "If I were the one who had you locked in this tower, I'm sure you'd think very differently."

"I would not. I would eagerly wait for you."

"Is that what you want from me? To wag my tail and greet you like some kind of pet every time you return?"

The thought of Cressida wagging her tail at him intrigued him, and his eyes subconsciously dipped down to stare at her backside, remembering how exquisite her undergarments had felt beneath his fingers only a few hours ago. He felt a surge of desire, and he involuntarily swallowed, his mouth suddenly dry.

"Callidus!" she exclaimed, "That is what you want, isn't it?"

"N-no, of course not," he lied, reaching for her. "Cressida, my love, I'm sorry."

But Cressida dodged his arms, scooting away from him on the bed.

"Cressida, please," he implored, a summer breeze only a second away from scooping her back up, "I didn't mean to make you feel like that. Like...like you're my pet. You know you're my betrothed, my lover, the light of my heart. My future queen. I cherish your spirit, and your strength."

"You told me that you trusted me," Cressida muttered, "But you panic if I'm more than a few steps away."

Callidus's gaze softened, "I do trust you, but I don't trust the world. It's cruel and unforgiving."

"What, you think the window is going to shatter? Or I'll somehow strangle myself in the bedsheets if you're not there to protect me?"

Callidus reached out for her once more, "Of course not, my love. I simply was momentarily clouded by fear. I apologize."

But Cressida stayed away, her arms still crossed. "Callidus, I know that you have...control issues, but you can't expect me to stay in your arms every moment, even when I'm asleep." She let out a deep exasperated sigh, "You know, sometimes it's too hot to cuddle and I'll roll away, but you'll grab me."

He slowly lowered his arms, resisting the urge to grab her now, "I'm sorry, my love. I can make it colder in here." Callidus immediately swept a cool breeze through the room, encircling around them and lowering the temperature in the tower.

Cressida let out another sigh, "That's...that's a solution. But what if I don't want to cuddle?"

"Why wouldn't you?" he asked, a wave of panic engulfing him, "You love to cuddle. You reach for me at night."

(It had swiftly become his most treasured part of the day.)

"Yes, but what if I don't want to? What if I want space?"

Callidus frowned, his concern deepening. "Are...are you saying you want to sleep in separate beds again?"

"No!" Cressida exclaimed, "Lady's mantle, Callidus. You jump to conclusions so quickly."

Callidus's tense shoulders relaxed as he realized that Cressida wasn't suggesting anything drastic. "I'm...I'm sorry, my love. I just...adore holding you close. And I was under the assumption you enjoyed it as well."

(He needed to get rid of the extra bed as soon as possible.)

As Callidus continued to circulate the breeze, the room began to grow even colder. "I do," she said, instinctively wrapping her arms around herself, "I'm not going to pretend like I don't. I've always been a cuddler. But sometimes it's just too much."

Callidus was unable to prevent himself from asking, "Who have you cuddled before me?"

The question seemed to catch Cressida off guard, and she blinked, her expression growing incredulous. "What does that matter?"