Chapter 10 part 1

Start from the beginning

"What?" She repeated "The police told us to stay inside" she protested, though she obviously wanted Matias to get the phone.

"That is inside.. technically. Just because the window by it is broken doesn't mean it's not part of the shop"

Matias glanced back out at the hero, or rather Samuel, who was obviously stressed out by the combination of cops and reporters around him.

"Fine, but he quick! If that person comes back I don't want you out there!" Lexi instructed strictly.

"Yes mam" Matias mocked before opening the door.

His side still hurt like hell from all the standing he's been doing today, but there was no chance he could take a sitting break.

He walked over to the table and grabbed the phone. He wasn't sure why everyone had to make a big deal out of this. I mean, sure, there was a lot of damage, but all of the hiding away is pretty pointless.

Matias glanced up and unexpectedly met the eyes of Samuel, though the rest of his face was covered by his mask. He straightened his posture and gulped louder than he would've liked. They looked right at each other for a long moment before Matias came to his senses. He took the phone and made his way back to where everyone else was.

Before he could even shut the door behind him Lexi was clung to his side.

"Thank you, Matias" she said with he cheek mushed into his shoulder.

"Would you get off of me and let me give the man his phone" Matias lightly pushed her off with his other arm.

Unluckily for Matias, Lexi had managed to grab onto the shot in his arm and put lots of pressure on the stab in his lower torso. She finally let go of him when the man pulled up the news which displayed the interview happening just outside.

Matias didn't pay any attention to the interview as he leaned onto a shelf for support. His arm hurt more it had since he was shot, but it couldn't even compare to the pain he felt in his torso. He could feel the blood pulsing through the area and he suppressed a cough.

"Are you alright?" The mother asked Matias, catching him off guard.

"Mhm" Matias managed, not willed enough to talk.

He made sure his face remained calm but his body language must've given him away.

"Are you sure? You seem in pain" the mother insisted, walking away from her child and towards Matias.

"It's really nothing" Matias said as loud as he could, which was still incredibly quiet.

Now Lexi and the elderly man had looked up from the phone to look at him.

"Matias, you good?" Lexi asked, taking a step towards him.

"Yes." Matias choked before doubling over and falling into a coughing fit.

His wound ached and his throat grew dry and scratchy. He begged himself to stop coughing but his body wouldn't listen. He could hardly breathe as each short winded cough was back to back. His elbow was held close to his mouth and he felt a thick warm substance come out of his mouth and land on his elbow with every few coughs.

"Matias!" Lexi shouted as if that would help the situation at all.

"Yo what the hell" one of the ignorant teens mumbled.

Matias felt a hand on his back as the coughs slowed to a stop. He finally opened his eyes, which he hadn't realized he'd squeezed shut. He fixed his posture only a bit and glanced down at his inner elbow. It was coated in a layer of deep, red, blood.