Joining the 141

Simon "Ghost" Riley x John "Soap" MacTavish
Call of Duty
Gay, Trans ftm

This is not necessarily factually correct...

Word count: 866

Entering the Task Force 141 is the hardest thing you can do.

A lot of people said that. And Price had always argued. Entering the 141 was not a hard thing to do. Getting to the part where you were even considered to join the force was hard. But entering? No.

Yes, sometimes the guys in the force were total assholes. But they were assholes in the same way siblings were assholes to each other. If you managed to get into the Task Force you got their respect. You just needed to prove that you were worthy of being part of the family.

He had been strengthened in his opinion when John "Soap" MacTavish joined the force. The young man was a fucking sunshine. He loved getting to know new people, he was always nice (unless you fucked it up with him).

But then Ghost had happened. Simon "The Ghost" Riley.

And that was when Price started to cut people who were saying that it was hard to enter the 141 some slack. Ghost was scary. And trying to befriend him was damn near impossible.

But when Ghost had started to not be so cold anymore, had started to hang out with the rest of the group - especially with Soap -, it had seemed even harder to get a place in the 141-family.

The day he had seen the cold-blooded killer, the Ghost everyone was so fucking scared of, kiss and hug Soap goodbye when the Sergeant went on leave, was the day he had agreed that entering the 141 was hard. Fucking hard.

If you managed to get into the force now, you got greeted by a total sunshine with a big shadow behind him. Ghost didn't leave Soap's side. Not unless he was told to by his superior or by Soap himself. Meeting new people meant that Ghost was standing behind Soap, arms crossed, skull mask covering his face, eyes shooting daggers. You could consider yourself lucky if he actually talked to you within the first month. 

Entering the Task Force 141 was the hardest thing you could do.

And somehow Price felt that it was all Ghost's fault. But he didn't think that this was something bad. Rather that it proved that someone actually had bite. Managing to get even one word out of Ghost was a fucking miracle.

Plus, he was autistic so being nice to him didn't quite work because often times he didn't even notice it. And it was funny to watch people try to befriend Ghost by befriending Soap. Ghost being Soap's shadow had nothing to do with Ghost in fact interacting with anyone besides Soap. He would be standing behind him, next to him, be his seat. He couldn't give a shit if someone else was in the room.

But as if being a spooky shadow wasn't already enough, Ghost was the definition of Scary Dog Privilege. So far there had been three broken noses, one broken arm, twenty-nine rib injuries (on different people) and multiple things to which the response was always "They fell." when Price asked what had happened but that were very clearly Ghost's fault.

This had gotten even more frequent after someone had outed Soap as trans. The 141 had taken it with a shrug of the shoulders and Gaz had gotten a gender reveal cake and some It's a boy! balloons. Soap had found it hilarious and all of them were happy they had cake.

But while the 141 got cake, some other recruits got their head slammed into a wall and their arms twisted on their back till they were begging for forgiveness they never got. This hadn't been Ghost's doing, though.

Price had done it himself. Soap knew about the incidents where even Price got protective enough over the Sergeant that he actually got physical with some of his own recruits. Ghost knew about it too and the day it had first happened, had been the day Ghost had taken his mask off for the first time in front of him. Not just pull it up onto the bridge of his nose. No, off. He had taken it off and put it in his pocket.

It had made Price spit his coffee over the entire desk and basically all of his paperwork in surprise.

It was safe to say that Soap and Ghost brought out the worst in each other.

Price stepped to the window, sighing and crossing his arms as he saw the huge guy in the neck gaiter leaning against a car, holding a phone, recording John and Gaz dancing something Price assumed was Single Ladies. Price had to assume that they were bored and maybe he should give them something to do.

Yes, Soap and Ghost brought out the worst in each other. But they also certainly brought out the best in each other. Even if it made Price lose his mind. And even if he had to watch them make out in pretty much every dark corner they were able to find.

-----------------------

I have absolutely no idea what I did here.