Chapter 10: There's More of Me?

"Ready! Swing!" Yelled the Captain.

"Ha!"

"Ready!"

"Swing!"

"Ha!"

"Alright knights, go practice one on one."

"Yes sir!"

Heavy breathing came from behind him.

"Hm?"

The maid's left hand was against the wooden gate. She was slumping against it.

"Ah, hey Cilia!"

"Are you alright? What's wrong?"

Goldwill quickly ran over to her.

"Hey!"

"I-it's about Lord... Percide..."

"What happened? Cilia!"

"Percide... isn't- that man..."

She collapsed.

Goldwill picked her up and brought her inside.

What does that mean... Percide isn't Percide?

Wait... but it kind of makes sense.

When we found him he was surrounded by a bunch of massacred bandits and he was alone, he doesn't remember anything, and constantly changes the things he had previously set in place. His personality has taken almost a complete turn, and he either goes missing for large portions of the day or is sleeping... and when he first woke up he didn't speak a language we could understand. He slowly adapted to what we said, so he could try blending in more!

"Percide isn't Percide... he's a monster in disguise!"

There's only one way to confirm this.

I'll visit Percide's room.

Goldwill hastily ran over to Percide's room. He entered to see what appeared to be him sleeping. He walked over and placed the back of his hand against Percide's forehead. It was dead cold. Goldwill clenched his fist and went back to the barracks.

Once he got back the maid groggily started waking up.

"Huh- Captain?"

"Cilia!"

"Percide... isn't human... he's a monster that is... stealing his identity."

She sat up.

"Hey take it easy."

"No, no it's fine. I just pushed my physical limits more trying to get here quickly."

She looked him in the eyes.

"Goldwill... we're going to have to kill that thing. We can't let a monster stay in town, especially since it's taken a person's identity."

Goldwill looked down.

"I know... but what are the chances Percide is still alive?"

"I'm not sure... if I had to guess... he probably died back when you found him."

He looked her in the eyes before making his decision.

"Alright. I'll start gathering forces and evacuate the town. We'll attack him in three days. For now act like nothing happened."

"Yes... sir. Also a few things to note, he can shape shift between different forms... and you can identify him by this yellow '01' carved into his left eye."

"Thank you, I'll keep a lookout for that."

⊰───────•✦•───────⊱⊰───────•✦•───────⊱⊰───────•✦•───────⊱