Do Whatever

The doorbell echoed inside the house and it didn't take a second for Nikolai's mum to open the door. When she saw her son, she immediately hugged him. "Nikolai! I thought you were never going to show up again! I thought you would hate us for the rest of your life!" Nikolai just stood there stiffly. "I... We're not exactly here to apologize if that's what you think", he said dryly.

Her gaze fell upon Fjodor, who still stood next to Nikolai without saying a word. She let out a deep sigh and lead them inside the house. "Darling, will you come down? Our son came home." Footsteps were heard on the stairs and soon after, Nikolai's father appeared. His expression tensed up when he saw Fjodor.

"Before you say anything, father, I'm not here to argue. We got something to show you and you can have your own opinion on that. I won't change my mind anyway, but we hope you do." First he pulled out the test he had gotten back and placed it on the table.

"Fjodor helped me study with that." Two sceptical pairs of eyes focused on the black haired boy. "Please let Nikolai stay here", Fjodor said. "We can make this work, I promise." Nikolai's father still seemed wary of the smaller boy. Good grades or not, a bit of tutoring would not make everything else forgotten.

With a deep breath, Fjodor placed his phone on the table. "Maybe... this helps you understand my situation." When he pressed play, nobody uttered a word until the audio ended. Nikolai's mum looked shocked and immediately ran towards her son to hug him tightly again. Fjodor just stood there, not allowing his gaze to avert the other man's.

"I'm not a liar", Fjodor said. The atmosphere was unbearably tense and it felt like he was suffocating. "Darling, please..." He cut her off. "So you want me to belive that Mr. Dostojewsky, the renowned lawyer, is a violent man that abuses his child? You know what you ask for?" Fjodor desperately held his gaze.

"That's enough." Nikolai's mum suddenly spoke up. "You may not trust Fjodor, but I trust my son. And if he believes in that boy, I do too." Surprised the boys looked at her. Caringly she placed her arms around both of their shoulders. Her husband rubbed his nose as he let out a sigh. "Nikolai, is that kid really worth it?", he asked. Nikolai nodded. "He is. He's worth everything."

Fjodor blushed as he looked at Nikolai. How could he always say such things out loud so easily? He himself barely managed to get out an 'I love you'. It wasn't a matter of emotions, just, it was so hard to speak those words.

"Ugh, do whatever you want." Then Nikolai's father left to his office upstairs again. Fjodor didn't know how to react to that until Nikolai's mum pulled them both into a hug again. Nikolai tried telling her that Fjodor probably wasn't fine with it, but somehow, he didn't mind.

"I'll get a Futon for you. We can't have you go back to your house, can we? And what would you like for dinner?" Fjodor was so overwhelmed by the sudden change in atmosphere, that he didn't know what to answer.