A Last Straw

"Hell, my whole life was dangerous, you know?" Fjodor slowly relaxed as he leaned against Nikolai. The white haired boy gulped at those words. He was right, Fjodor's life had been like this since forever. He just didn't see it. He had no understanding of it until this very moment. Instinctively he pulled his boyfriend closer.

"Are... Are you okay?", Fjodor asked. "You didn't get hurt when he pushed you, did you?" His purple eyes looked worried. Nikolai shook his head. He might get some bruises of it, but nothing serious. "I'm fine, don't worry. What about you?" Fjodor finally found the strength to get up and walk towards the door. "It's okay."

He said that, but he double checked if the door was locked and even left the key in the hole. None of them needed dinner that evening.

In the middle of the night Nikolai woke up as a pillow hit his head. He just wanted to start bickering, when he realized how Fjodor was tossing and turning in his bed. He was still sleeping but his feet were kicking against the blanket and he whined from time to time. "That much for it's okay." Nikolai smiled gently and stroked a strand of black hair out of Fjodor's face.

Instantly the smaller guy stopped whining. Nikolai's smile grew wider as he watched the other one's reaction. "You're helpless without me, aren't you?" He let out a sigh before snuggling under the blanket next to his boyfriend. "Mmmh." Fjodor's hair tickled his nose when he subconsciously returned the warm hug. "Kol...ya... mmlove yu..." Nikolai let out a soft chuckle. "I love you too, Fyo."

It was still dark outside, when Fjodor entered the kitchen. He usually woke up before his alarm, not wanting to wake Nikolai, who had again slept in his bed. Like what were they? Some married couple? He chuckled at the thought. Then he grabbed his phone and turned the volume down as far as possible before listening to the recording of the day before. He needed to know if there was something they could use.

It wasn't pretty and sure, he had been afraid in that situation, but being hit or yelled at was nothing that could throw him over. But it made him angry how again and again he failed to stand up against his father. He just needed to see those dark eyes and he instinctively cowered. "Pathetic!", he hissed as he put down the phone.

The audio proved none of his accusations. Nothing but his dad being a violent person. And even that could be questioned, as an audio could easily be faked or cut together. Plus his father had a pretty good reputation, a lawyer of elite class. No one would believe his bratty child.

No, he needed to calm down and think about this carefully. The audio was of no use to the law or even the police. Restless he paced up and down in the kitchen. He couldn't influence an objective point of view with this... But maybe a subjective one. Now all they needed was a pacifier.

"Nikolai?" Surprised the white haired boy looked at his boyfriend. "We're going to your parents house today after school. And you better aced that test on Monday." Fjodor gave him a serious look. "Are you sure this is a good idea..." He didn't answer. Fjodor himself wasn't sure if they would believe him, especially after that fight a few days ago, but they had nothing to lose now.

"Is 98 enough for your scheme, Mr mastermind?" Nikolai held the sheet of paper directly in Fjodor's face. The smaller boy sighed. "It gets a pass." Nikolai pouted. "I'm not some genius who can ace everything effortless." Fjodor chuckled. "Fine, you did great." He went to his tiptoes and gave Nikolai a headpat, whose grin spread wider. "You're so cute sometimes, Fyo." Immediately Fjodor shoved the test paper back to Nikolai's chest and turned around. "Whatever you say." But he blushed hard at that.

And there they were again, on the doorstep of the Gogol house, Nikolai's finger hovering above the doorbell. "And you sure, this will work?" No, not sure at all. He nodded.