Chapter 29: The Nina Project

Maybelle turned on the sink and splashed her face a few more times, Robin and Nancy came back everyone decided to sleep at the Wheelers Maybelle left the bathroom she was looking for her bag but couldn't find it she scanned the room and found It by Steve who was laying down on a little set up on the floor.

"you took your time, and everyone claimed their spots" Steve teased Maybelle sighed before softly throwing herself onto the poorly made makeshift bed of a blanket and couch pillow "Awe man, this sucks" Maybelle groaned with a big grin on her face "sorry your stuck with me" Steve laughed Maybelle heart rate picked up.

Maybelle fell a sleep in a dreamless sleep before she began waking up with an itch in her throat and coughed Maybelle sat up trying to silence her coughs as she opened her bag looking for her water bottle Maybelle left the basement and went outside wanting to keep the noise down Maybelle took a sip of water she coughed even harder Maybelle sat herself down trying to calm the coughing fit.

"little June-bug" Maybelle turned around "Dad" Maybelle cried launching herself at him and giving him a hug she smiled at the familiar scent of pine cones mixed with honey.

Steve groaned feeling something stab his side Steve pushed it away before opening his eyes "crap sorry May" Steve whispered but he got no response Steve sat up noticing Maybelle wasn't there Steve looked around the bathroom light were turned off and the door creaked everyone else was a sleep the Basement door was left on the crack Steve quietly and quickly got up and opened the door "May, hey are you out here" Steve whispered he saw her with her back turned sitting on the ground he walked up closer.
"May what are you doing out here? Steve asked in a hush Whisper but got no reply "Did you fall asleep out here" Steve laughed but something felt off Steve walked closer to her and turned her around his heart dropped Maybelle's eyes were rolling on the back of her head "Maybelle! No! no! no! Steve murmured gently shaking her shoulder "You guys" Steve yelled.

"Maybelle" Maybelle started looking around for a voice when her father disappeared Maybelle noticed the scenery started to change and Maybelle's heart sunk she was in the upside down Maybelle started running she wasn't sure where but she needed to find a way out of there she didn't get far "you can't escape," Maybelle noticed the place seemed to be a lab.
"Subject 04202" a woman walked into the room and Maybelle froze the woman was her mother instead of her short blonde hair she remembered her head was shaved instead of her usual long sleeve cardigans she was wearing a hospital gown she still had the same blue eyes.

"w-what" Maybelle stuttered the most shocking thing was that she seemed to be pregnant a small bump was showing through her gown "Since you can't do your usual tests we going to do a different test a guy in all white hooked a bunch of wires up her mothers arm the ground the scene changed her mother was laying on a small bed in a room the was bear with white walls "it's going to be okay my little Phoenix" her mother whispered gently rubbing her stomach. Maybelle didn't know what was going on she felt like she couldn't breathe she tried to catch her breath.

"Maybelle! A voice sounded muffled.
Steve shout woke up everyone in the basement but his main focus was on Maybelle "Please wake up Maybelle" Steve plead "shit! Dustin shouted Robin went back inside to get Maybelle's back Robin dumped the bag on the ground Maybelle's Walkman fell out "what's her favorite song? Lucas asked everyone was looking for the song "I'm not sure she has a new song every week" Max told them "Love is a Battlefield" Steve shouted "That's a song" Dustin shouted Nancy found the tape she quickly put it in the and hands it to Steve.

Steve placed the headphones on Maybelle's head Maybelle gasped scaring them but she wasn't waking up she started shaking like she was having a seizure "Oh my god! "what's going on?! Steve felt his eyes sting tears ready to fall Steve hugged Maybelle 'Maybelle please come back to us " he whispered.