Chapter 21: The Flayed

the car stopped on Hess property "Looks like somebody's home" Hopper murmured

Maybelle followed them into the house with her flashlight an almost silent noise "Did you hear that? Joyce whispered.

the single light bulb on the lamp started pulsing from dim to bright continued they went farther into the house a room that seemed to be a bedroom with only a mattress where's that coming from? Hopper asked Maybelle felt the vibrations at her feet Maybelle kneeled to the floor "It's below us" Maybelle whispered taking notice of the vent under the bed and a bright orange glow radiated through the vent.

they lifted the bed to reveal a staircase leading down to a dark floor Maybelle went to step forward but Hopper held her back of her shirt "Nope you're staying up here and waiting" Hopper told her Maybelle wanted to argue but she sighed "Fine but if something goes wrong I'm going down there" Maybelle huffed before sitting a little way from the staircase.

Maybelle jumped when a noise of a motorcycle Maybelle got up to warn Hopper and Joyce but the person was faster Maybelle froze at the click of a gun.

Maybelle walked down the stairs slowly and walked forward in her side vision feet were struggling and flaying around Maybelle walked closer a man was handcuffed to a pipe with a cloth in his mouth he was trying to say something but it was muffled.

Maybelle was pulled back and froze feeling cold metal tap her temple "I'll shoot her" the man's heavy accent rang in her eyes Hopper had the gun pointed at the Russians and the Russians had Maybelle at gunpoint.

Maybelle closed her eyes and took a simple breath before throwing her head back knocking the back of her head into the Russian face before quickly tumbling back Hopper grabbed the back of her T-shirt and brought her behind him Hopper pointed his gun at the Russian "Don't move and drop the gun! drop it! "you understand what I'm saying big guy? "Drop the weapon!.

Maybelle hit the floor as the Russian and Hopper fought and the Russian's gun started going off Maybelle noticed the gun she quickly grab it before getting dragged by Joyce into the corner with another Russian in glasses handcuffed to a pipe.

Hopper and the Russian were fighting the Russian's gun became discarded the Russian flipped Hopper onto the ground the Russian kicked Hopper down Hooper found a wrench and hit the guy's leg with it the Russian fell in pain.

"Hopper! Joyce grabbed the gun from Maybelle and threw it above Hopper a little behind the Russian Hopper went to the other three and uncuffed the Russian only to attach one to himself "Come on Smirnoff you're coming with us! The Russian shot at them with Hopper's gun "Go, go go! Hopper shouted.

Maybelle ran up the steps as the Russian shot at them before shooting up the stairs Maybelle and Hopper quickly put the mattress back down Maybelle screamed as the bullets went through the mattress some hitting the ceiling and the bookshelf by the door.

Hopper tossed the bookcase on top of the mattress "Move it, Smirnoff! Move it! the four ran out of the house Hopper threw the keys at Joyce "Joyce drive! Joyce picked up the fallen keys before getting in the front seat "Joyce please drive! Hopper shouted

Joyce turned on the car before pressing the gas quickly driving in a semi-circle to get out of the driveway gunshots were heard Maybelle screamed and ducked as the windows in the back shattered.

Maybelle stayed down trying to catch her breath "Still think it was our government? Hopper asked Maybelle would have laughed but her beating heart was trying to simmer down.

Maybelle winced as she got out of the car that stopped working Joyce was trying to get answers out of the Russian they brought along Maybelle sighed trying to keep her wincing down a slim piece of glass was in the back of her shoulder and a few bullets grazed her but she can't tell if any hit her her adrenaline was still in her system.

Hopper was cursing at the car as he was trying to fix it "Maybelle watch the guy Joyce can you start the car" Hopper asked Maybelle grunted but went to babysit the Russian she really didn't see how this guy was harmful but then again someone just tried shooting them for almost no reason.

"stop! stop it! the poor Russian tried telling Hopper to stop "Hopper stop! Maybelle yelled out to him but he was being stubborn Maybelle grunted before sliding down the tree slightly wincing the Russian spoke something but looked concerned "I'm alright" Maybelle told him giving him a thumbs up.

spoke filled the air as Hopper's car got worse and soon exploded Maybelle slowly got up following the group into the woods the Russian ran through the forest but stopped Hopper got him but the Russian smiled pointing to a seven 11 "damn genius" Maybelle murmured the Russian pointed at Maybelle's shoulder before poking it Maybelle yelped getting the others attention.

the group made it to the seven 11 it would be concerning if Maybelle went in with a glass shard in her shoulder that was too deep to be removed losing more blood or it getting an infection Maybelle had to get a way back to Hawkins.

Maybelle felt guilty for leaving the others even after they told her she had to "Oh wait I never got your name? Maybelle asked the Russian "Alexi" he said with a thick Russian accent "Nice to meet you, Alexi, I hope to meet again in better circumstances" Maybelle tried giving the guy a handshake but it was hard with his handcuffs Maybelle ignored all Hopper comments and parted ways.

Maybelle found a bike off to the side of the store and Maybelle started riding the bike hoping to find a bus station a rode a bus and rode about 12 miles Maybelle made it to Hawkins Hospital Maybelle sat in a Hospital room she had to get 2 stitches in her shoulder after removing the glass and Maybelle had grazed a few bullets and had a bunch of band-aids littered up her arm.

Maybelle sat on a stiff bed drinking a water bottle sighing hoping the others are alright Maybelle the lights in the room started to flicker Maybelle felt cold chills going up her arms "Shit" Maybelle Murmured.

Maybelle slowly walked out of the room Maybelle had to stop herself from screaming at the dead patient slumped against the wall Maybelle tried keeping her breath even as the flashbacks of the lab loud footsteps echoed through the empty hall Maybelle froze slowly back stepping into her room and hiding in the corner of the room a few seconds of silence before another pair of footsteps walked by.

"Help! Help! Maybelle gasped recognizing the voice Maybelle jumped up and ran out of the room "Nancy" Maybelle called out to her Nancy turned around taking Maybelle's handing running off in another direction.

"Nancy! Maybelle turned around and gasped Maybelle didn't remember the guy's name but she knew he was part of Hawkins's press Maybelle quickly grabbed the fire extinguisher as Nancy brought them into another room both girls were out of breath.

both girls ran behind the curtain separating "Yoo-hoo Nancy Drew where are you? "Marco? the guy passed by another empty spot "Polo" Nancy hit the guy in the face with the fire extinguisher Nancy hit the guy again Maybelle picked up the Wheelchair as the guy falls on his knee "Go to hell" Nancy hit him again with the fire extinguisher.

"what the hell! Maybelle mumbled the guy laid down unmoving Maybelle held onto the chair tighter when the lights go out leaving the room completely dark before flickering back on Maybelle backed away with Nancy slowly.

the guy started grunting it seemed like he cardiac arrest but bones like they were cracking his flesh started falling off the guy's face into a slime goo pile leaving the guys close behind Maybelle felt like getting sick she quickly looked away from the scene.

Nancy dragged Maybelle with her as she followed the pulsing moving slime they stopped in the hall across the hall was Johnathan staring at them seemed to follow the other part of the slime both slimes came together making a bigger pile of slime.

Maybelle wanted to get sick as the thing formed it was a flesh-like monster the lights went off once again leaving the only source of light being the Exit sign before the lights flickered again and the creature shrieked