Chapter 19: The Case Of the Missing Lifeguard

Maybelle woke up with a gasp before coughing Maybelle looked around in panic where ever she was it was dark Maybelle tried to find a way to get out she fell off the soft surface to the hard wooded floor it felt cool Maybelle hissed trying to catch her breath from the coughing fit. Maybelle jumped when the door opened and banged against the wall "Maybelle! the lights in the room turned on Maybelle blinked for her eye to get use to the light.

Steve sat beside her "Are you alright? Steve asked Maybelle remembered Billy choking her and running all the to Steve's house Maybelle's eyes filled with tears as her hands go to her neck before crying harder "Hey hey it's okay" Steve whispered carefully taking her hands away from her neck.

"he wasn't himself" Maybelle croaked before going into a coughing fit Steve got up to get her a glass of water Steve had to help her hold it as her hands were shaking uncontrollably Maybelle took a few huge sips before catching her breath "Thank you" Maybelle croaked wiping away her stray tears Steve rubbed her shoulders calmly.

Maybelle started to cry again it wasn't that Billy was choking her but the pain when he did he was being controlled by something "It's back I don't know how" Maybelle croaked again before coughing slightly Steve brought Maybelle into a hug "It's okay don't talk hey, it's okay" Steve mumbled to her.

Maybelle hugged him back tightly before sighing and smelling the scent of his hair spray "Thank you" Maybelle whispered before letting sleep take her.

Maybelle woke up with the sun beaming on her face Maybelle looked around noticing it was Steve's house Maybelle went down the stairs to meet Steve sitting at the kitchen counter eating a bowel of cereal "Hey" Maybelle said hoarse Steve turned around with a mouth full of cereal Maybelle couldn't help but chuckle.

"morning! how are you feeling? Steve asked "My throat feels sore but that's about it" Maybelle spoke softly "I have cough drops" Steve pointed to a cabinet Maybelle thanked him and went to grab a few.

Maybelle fiddled with the short sleeve shirt that Steve lend her while sitting in his car as they were on their way to Star Court Steve turned on the radio Maybelle gasped before turning it up

Rising up, back on the streets

Did my time took my chances

Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet

Just a man and his will to survive

So many times it happens to fast

you change your passion for glory

Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past

you must fight just to keep them alive

Maybelle started humming to the lyrics taping her fingers on her leg like drums

It's the eye of the tiger

it's the thrill of the fight

Rising up to the challenge of our rival

and the last know survivor

stalks his prey in the night

and he's watching us all with the eye of the tiger

Maybelle tried to catch her breath as she finished singing the last verse before Laughing "What" Maybelle mumbled noticing Steve stair at her "Nothing, Steve shook his "Were umm... here" Maybelle coughed "Oh sorry" Maybelle turned down the radio before exited the car.

Maybelle parted with Steve and started to head to the record shop Maybelle walked in lightly nervous Eddie was at the front desk organizing new records "Hey Eddie" Maybelle mumbled loud enough over the music Eddie turned around "where were you last night, if you know you couldn't make it you could've at least called" Eddie told her.

Maybelle looked down at her feet as she sighed "Sorry about Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well so I called out from the pool I was planning on working last night but I passed out in Scoops Ahoy" Maybelle gave out a half-lie

"Woah! Are you okay? Eddie asked "Oh yeah I'm fine it seemed the heat got to me Steve brought me to his place since Hop wasn't home" Maybelle looked anywhere except Eddie "Seriously, Harrington! Oh wait you shirt don't tell me?! Eddie teased Maybelle and made a weird noise her face was more red than her hair.

"not like that I woke up in a guest bedroom, and my shirt was coated in sweat so Steve gave me one of his mothers" Maybelle rambled but stopped as Eddie began laughing Maybelle groaned "It's fine May I'm glad you're okay though, but I'm dying to know did Steve kiss though even if it was on the cheek? Maybelle slight smile dimmed "no we didn't, but I don't think he like's me like that" Maybelle whispered.

Eddie hopped over the counter and hugged Maybelle before spinning her around and getting a laugh out of her "It's his loss May now I'm hungry and it's my lunchtime so let's go" Eddie dragged Maybelle out of the shop.

Maybelle and Eddie parted ways Maybelle saw Steve and Dustin hiding beside a pillar Maybelle walked up to them to see what they were looking at "Is this a Russian spy" Maybelle scoffed in disgusted Dustin and Steve turned around to see Maybelle with a disgusted expression "Robin told me you were looking for Russian's, not girls" Maybelle sighed in disapproval leaving the boys alone.

Maybelle walked with the boys back to the shop "Robin you're not gonna believe who Dustin thought was a Russian" "You did too" "No, I did not" Maybelle scoffed rolling her eyes at the idiot Robin ran past them

the three ran after her "Robin what are you doing? Steve asked "I cracked it," Robin told them "cracked what? Steve asked "I cracked the code" "That's great" Maybelle gave Robin a high five.

the group of four were on the roof in the rain waiting for the delivery "Look for Imperial Panda and Kaufman Shoes" Robin told the group over the rain a guy came around in a yellow raincoat delivering boxes from Panda's and Kaufman Shoes while whistling "they're with that Whistling guy, ten o' clock" Dustin used his binoculars.

"what do you think's in there? "Guns, bombs? "chemical weapons? "whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth " "Great, that's great" "Hey what's in there? Maybelle asked "It's just more boxes" "let me check it out" Steve tried taking the binoculars from Dustin "No I'm still looking" "Lemme see it" The binoculars hit part of the roof making a loud clinking sound the man with the guns started looking around.

the group slid down to try and hide from the guard's view Steve and Maybelle held their hands together when Maybelle realized this she quickly let go of his hand Maybelle gasped feeling the sickening as the familiar cold chill went up her spine Maybelle began to cough placing a hand on the back of her neck

"he's back"