Chapter 20

Third Person POV

Percy knocked on Jessica's door and took a step back.

He smiled as her dad opened the door, "Hi Mr. Barnes."

He sighed, "Percy, I've told you to call me Jesse."

"Ah, sorry."

Jesse sighed in relief.

"Mr. Jesse."

He sighed again before screaming, "I give up."

Percy laughed and then followed him inside.

"Jess, are you ready? Percy's here," her mom, Jordan screamed.

"Morning, Jordan," Percy smiled happily.

"Seriously Percy," Jesse complained.

Percy and Jordan laughed.

"I've missed having you around. Where have you been young man?" she asked worriedly.

"Around. I recently connected with my father's...extended family and there were some problems. But I'm fine now. Promise."

"Uh-huh. And that's why you have a black eye and numerous scars and burns over your body."

Percy flinched slightly which caused Jordan and Jesse to look at him worriedly. They cared for Percy deeply and the last thing they wanted was for something to happen to him.

"Not everyone on my dad's side is friendly," he said quietly and touched his eye.

Jordan sighed and led Percy to the kitchen table. She cleaned his eye and then put some cream on it to help it heal faster.

"Are you going to tell me or do I need to get in contact with Sally and your father?"

"I promise it's fine. We got into a disagreement that ended with a few punches. If it gets worse I'll tell them."

Jesse looked at Percy sadly. He always liked Percy but always felt something was off. Maybe this was it.

"We won't tell them anything, but if something happens make sure that you come here. We'll always be ready to help you, kid," Jesse stated.

"Thanks," Percy mumbled.

Jessica came downstairs and grabbed her backpack. Her dad tossed her an apple and she hugged both her parents.

She saw Percy's black eye but decided to ignore it for now and dragged him to his car.

"Thank you for bringing the car instead of the motorcycle today."

"No problem. I know you don't like it," he said closing her door.

Jessica looked at Percy out of the corner of her eye trying to decide whether or not to bring up his black eye.

"Jessica, I'm fine," Percy groaned, "Your mom and dad already talked to me."

"If you're sure," she said uncertainly.

"Do you want to hang out tonight?"

Jessica smiled at him, "What did you have in mind?"

"I got a dog for Christmas. I know how much you like them so I thought we could grab him on the way to the park close to my house. I'll have you home before dinner. Maybe."

Jessica laughed, "Sounds cool. What kind of dog is it?"

"Siberian Husky. He's so cool. And protective. His name is Aithans. Dad wants me to bring him to school for 'protection' but I disagree. It's been a long-standing argument between the family since the Solstice."