Changing the Gear of Fate

"Hello."

The door to the hospital room slides open. A young man was standing on the doorsill. His face is cold, detached from any emotion.

"Kim Dokja?"

The teenager on the bed lowers his phone. "...yes?" he replied cautiously.

"My name is Kim Rok Soo." The young man introduces himself. "I'm your second cousin and your guardian from thereon."

"What?"

"I assume you are confused." The young man, apparently his second cousin, sat on a hospital chair next to the bed. "Your soon-to-be former guardian will be charged with child neglect, as they failed to provide you with basic care. Start with stealing money that was supposed to go for your education and college fund. However, they may be exempted from law since they're your lineal family through your mother."

The tiny, bony hand gripped the phone. Hard.

"Lucky for you, or not, the fact you've been committing suicide attempts and ended up hospitalized yet neither of your soon-to-be-former foster relatives checked on your current condition nor provided care means they're illegible to fostering you. Coupled with old evidence showing they're reluctant to take you in, means if there are parties who are willing to step up and take you, some arrangements can be made."

"And you are... willing."

Kim Rok Soo sighed.

"I have recently turned twenty-five." He stated. "Twenty-five of Korean age, twenty-four of Western age. The minimum legal age to adopt a child as the law states."

"Ah."

Kim Dokja... doesn't know what to say.

Kim Rok Soo sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Well, then," he stood up. "I still have some paper to fill. See you soon."

He paused, then stretched out his hand to gently pat Kim Dokja on the head.

The fifteen-year-old child can only stare with wide eyes at the retreating back. Kim Rok Soo looked back and nodded before closing the door behind him.

The headpat is warm and somehow spread to his whole body.

Kim Dokja curled up on the bed, clutching the phone that displayed the first chapter of Three Ways to Survive in Ruined World. His pale cheek flushed red.

"...how weird."

His life turns around after he commits suicide.

Was this god's way of making amends?

...maybe

Maybe he should have tried to off himself earlier.

.

.

.

Somewhere, across time and space

In a Subway heading to nowhere

A young man in a white coat that was too big for his small frame is holding a book.

Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint¸ the title read.

"The cycle changes." He whispered. A small smile played on his lips. "It worked, you madlad. It really worked."

The subway jerked and changed direction.

The man fell off sideways, sprawled on the chair. Tears welled up in his eyes, as he hugged the book close to his heart. "Ah..." he moaned in relief, "I finally can go home. I'm so tired."

He closed his eyes and imagined faces he had almost forgotten. Voices he had almost forgotten.

"Just... a little more..." he mumbled sleepily. "Everyone... please... wait for me... a little longer..."

And with that, he fell into a deep slumber.

Hoping that by the time he wakes up, the train has reached its new Destination.

[Next Stop: Seoul, South Korea, Earth, Planetary System 8612]

.

.

.

[The Giant Story "To Change Fate's Outcome" has begun Narrating Its Story]

[The Giant Story "Miraculous Encounter" has begun Narrating Its Story]

[Your ■■ has changed]

[Your ■■ is now...]