Chapter 17: Trap

Beta read by Shigiya and Darklord331

.

.

.

-Church-

"Phew," a white cloud of fog exhaled from Bazett's mouth, the cold weather easing her stress somewhat as she walked on familiar grounds. The temperature in London plummeted these last few days, the clouds getting denser and darker with more frequent rains adding to the gloomy atmosphere. 

Winter was around the corner, but the brunette could bring herself to experience any joy from it. On regular days she looked forward to the snow, a good chance of scenery compared to the gray sky and exceedingly rare sunny days. To sit by a fireplace with a hot cup of coffee while gazing at the outside world from her living room — how she wished to do that at this very moment. 

"Kenwood House, huh…" she looked at the note which led her to Hampstead. A beautiful neighborhood that she rarely visited in the past, most of those times were because she was hunting someone or something. Her work takes over nearly aspects of her life that the woman could barely remember the last time she had any free time. "... It's cold." 

Already missing the warmth in Japan, Bazett wondered if she could take a few days vacation in a tropical country in the future and just relax for once. 

"Hah, like that would ever happen. I'm getting distracted." She muttered, doing a few inspections on her body, touching bruises that had mostly healed from her last encounter with the Chimera. A good thing was that the thing no longer roamed the streets anymore, leaving it alone would have been disastrous. And every other minor infected monster was all terminated as even after staying a few days in Fuyuki no such incidents emerged anymore. 

It wasn't enough to ensure that they were all dead, at least that she knew. But Bazett's real purpose was never to hunt them down, but just to find the original and trace its creator. Kirei and his colleagues still operated in that area and their skills were more than enough to take care of any strays.

"Hopefully the kid doesn't go after them as well." Though their meeting was short lived, he made an impression on her for sure. From getting entangled in a misunderstanding on their first meeting and her beating him up afterwards… wait, it wasn't really a misunderstanding! He just assumed she was going to kill that girl, leading him to fire from a sniper and attempt to injure her leg.

‘No, yeah, that was a misunderstanding.’

Then their second meeting involved teaming up to take down those monstrous beasts — not that she needed his help. Bazett firmly believed that in the end, her skills would have sufficed to take it down, and she possessed the tools to kill it in one move just in case the monster had a finishing attack. 

'Yet for someone who only uses Reinforcement and Projection, he sure did put up quite a fight at the end there.' The entire time she made sure to keep an eye on both him and the Chimera for the former could have easily been trying to put up an act and backstab her at the last second. Still, she was glad that this was not the case and he genuinely tried to help out. 

Emiya Shirou, a weird kid for sure. 

After the battle they shared a cup of tea and the cafe opened all night. Their conversation was quite lighthearted, mostly small talk of her giving him tips and advice on how to handle weapons. Though she wasn't the biggest firearm user, Bazett still learned a few lessons after spending so much time as a Sealing Designation Enforcer and the many Enforcers working alongside her — some of which were executioners from the Church.

Their talk barely lasted an hour before each returned to their respective homes. She accompanied him till the gates and was honestly stumped at the manor, the brat was from a rich magi family… she should have expected that, but he doesn’t act like most of the magi that she met before, so it threw her in a loop. Not that she entered the place, having other duties to attend to, she left the place and returned to the church in search of Kirei.