Chapter 9: Creature of the night

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-Edelfelt Manor-

Sitting outside in the garden, sipping on iced tea while reading a specific book about mineralogy, was Luvia Edelfelt. Currently enjoying the calm summer weather all by herself while wearing her favorite blue sleeveless summer dress.

"Hmm... I wish I had someone to talk to..." she mumbled to herself as she absent-mindedly flipped through the pages of the book.

The girl had been feeling lonely lately having fallen into a mindless routine every day for the last few months. With her father busy with taking care of family affairs and her mother off on her own journey, there wasn't anyone at home who could give her any company. Well, there were maids and butlers around, but they didn't seem like good conversation partners either.

Of course, there was also her little sister...

As she sat there, lost in thought about this, a sudden gust of wind blew across her face. The Magus barely paid any attention before grabbing a blue sapphire gem and tossing it next to her.

The precious stone glowed brightly before a transparent film spread of Magical Energy spread around into the shape of a shield.

Its power was only moderate, but it was still effective against most attacks from common magical creatures...

Bam!

And the red blast that was sent right for her head. It would have hit if not for the barrier protecting her. The shockwave was strong enough to rattle the glass panes near her and flutter her hair-much to her dismay.

Speak of the devil...

"What a warm greeting. It brings me great joy to see my own sister go for my head." She said, getting slightly more annoyed as she saw her favorite tea cup having shattered from the attack. "Also, welcome back from your assignment. I heard from our father that you managed to take out Ashtaina Clyphestargo in a single month. Congratulations are in order. Our client will be quite pleased with the news."

Closing the book, her gaze trailed to a young girl standing near the entrance with a furious scowl on her face that was similar to her own. With long, golden hair that matched hers but was styled in a bland straight look that reached to her mid back, unlike her perfect drills. Red eyes that held a flash of anger that she was all too used to seeing, which she got from their father. Dressed in a matching red dress while holding a glowing red ruby between her hands, that was dimming down after her attack.

Marjatta Edelfelt, her younger sister and 'rival' of sorts, and the co-heir of the family.

The Edelfelt family was quite an infamous group in the Moonlit world. They were one of the few groups who could boast of owning a unique Sorcery Trait that many Magi families could only dream about - and most likely kill them to get their hands on it - the ability to impart their family's Magical Crest to two successors. A trait that Luvia was thankful for, as she knew the bloodbath and tragedies other Magi lineages had to go through to inherit their Crest.

Her sister, on the other hand...

She was less than happy with sharing their heiress status with someone else.