17.

Derek.

Meredith is at work, she started working night shifts since she sleeps all day. I frown upon it but she needed to get out of the house but hasn't come home yet.

Zola is eating her breakfast by the table and Ellis is in her high chair. I'm trying to get Bailey to eat his food but he won't, he says it's not the way Meredith makes.

"Bailey, Mommy's not here right now and this is the way I make it, you have to eat," I tell him. if the kids don't eat breakfast they complain they're hungry all day until lunch.

"No, I want Mommy," he pouts in his seat. "Mommy's not here right now, she's working," I say. "Then I'll wait," he says. "I don't know when she'll be back," I say.

"I don't want your food," he says. "Well then what do you want, can I make you something else?" I say. "No, you're not a good cook," he says.

"And Mommy is?" I say. "better than you," he says. "Fine, you can wait till your mother gets home. go upstairs and get ready for school," I say. today is Bailey's first day of school at kindergarten and Zola is going into second grade.

"I don't want to go to school, Mommy said it's scary." he says. "it is scary but you'll feel better once you get there, you can make some new friends, you'll play, it'll be fun," I say.

"I want Mommy to take me to school," he says. "And she can take you if she's back by then, just go get ready for school," I tell him. he hops off his seat and goes upstairs.

****

Zola is ready waiting downstairs and I'm still trying to get him to get dressed for school. "Bailey, please get dressed," I say. "Can I go to school tomorrow instead, say I'm sick," he says.

"You know what, I don't care. your mother can argue with you when she gets back from work," I say leaving the room. I go downstairs and clean up the kitchen.

"Hey," Meredith smiles as she walks into the kitchen. "Hey, when did you get home?" I say. "twenty minutes ago. Are you taking the kids to school?" she asks.

"No, just Zola," I say. "Why? it's supposed to be Bailey's first day of school," she says. "I know but he won't get dressed, he won't eat breakfast, I don't know what's going on with him lately," I say.

"Well where is he?" she says. "He's upstairs in his room," I say. She leaves and goes upstairs. around ten minutes later she comes downstairs with Bailey in her arms.

"He's ready for school," she smiles kissing his cheek. "Yeah, it's great when your son has a favourite parent who isn't you," I say.

"Oh, Derek. he doesn't have a favourite. I've just been at work lately so he misses me, he missed you when you were in D.C. Remember when you would have to hold him every night until he fell asleep," she says.

"he was younger," I say. "He's still young, Derek," she says. "Why don't you just take them to school," she says. "Yeah, fine," I sigh.

"What's wrong, long night?" she asks. "Yeah, I never realized how hard it is to sleep without you," I say. "Just take them to school please, I'm tired," she says.

"Didn't you sleep at the hospital?" I say. "No, those beds aren't made for pregnant women. Where's Ellie?" She says.

"She's still in her high chair," I say. "Okay, I'll take her with me," she says. "You know I can just take her with you so you can get some rest. Go get her for me please," I say. She nods.

I help Bailey with his shoes before getting them both in the car. Meredith brings out Ellis and I place her in her car seat.

Meredith says goodbye to the kids and I kiss her goodbye before getting in the car and driving them to school.

Meredith.

When Derek leaves I eat a little bit of breakfast before going into the bedroom. I get in the shower and lather up my body.

After I wash my hair I get dried off and braid my hair quickly before getting dressed into my pyjamas and getting into bed.

A couple of hours later I woke up. I check the time before getting out of bed. I go to the bathroom before getting dressed and brushing out my hair.

I leave the bedroom and see Amelia in the hallway wearing nothing but a man's t-shirt. "Who's the lucky guy this time?" I ask.

".. Link," she says. "I thought you were through with him? How is he supposed to know you don't love him if you keep sleeping with him?" I say.

"I do love him, I just don't want to get married," I say. "You're worse than me eight years ago," I say going into the kitchen.

"What were you like eight years ago?" She asks. "It's the year Derek broke up with me multiple times because I have commitment issues and was too scared to give him the future he wanted," I say.

"So how did you become ready?" She says. "He started dating another woman and I realized if I didn't give him what he wanted someone else would so I made myself ready and he took me back in an instant," I say.

"Hey, Derek. When you broke up with Mer and got with another woman did you want marriage and kids with someone who wanted what you wanted or did you want Meredith to want what you wanted?" She asks Derek.

"Why are you asking him, Derek made my trust issues worse and then broke up with me because of the damage he caused," I whisper.

"I was with Addison for eleven years, I didn't want to wait anymore. I wanted it with Meredith but if she never became ready then what was I supposed to do?" He says.

"I told you I would be ready eventually," I say. "I wasn't sure if that was going to be in ten years or next week. You don't work on a schedule," he says. I roll my eyes.

"Why aren't you wearing any clothes?" He asks when he comes around the counter. "I had a friend over," she shrugs.

"Wait, where's Scout?" I ask. "That's why you needed me to take him for the day, so you could have sex with your ex?" He exclaims.

"I watch Ellis all the time for you and Meredith so you could get pregnant all the time. You two were going at it like teenagers, I didn't know you guys still had it in you," she says.

"My sex life is fine," I say. "Yeah now, what would you do without me?" She says. "I some know, Get a good night's sleep?" Derek says.

"Would you rather have Nancy living here?" She says. "Are you guys ever going to grow out of your sibling rivalries?" I say.

"No," they both say. "Where's Ellis? I want to talk to someone sane," I say. "She has your ambition, she's not sane," Derek says. I glare at him and go to play with Ellis in the living room while Derek and Amelia continue arguing.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

I can't believe I've been writing this story for two years and only have 17 chapters.

I have no ideas for this story.

If you have any Suggestions please leave them!