10.

MEREDITH

Bailey fell asleep a few minutes later. I get out of bed and go into the living room where I find Derek sitting on the couch.

I take off my mask and throw it in the trash. "I thought you would be asleep," he says not looking at me.

"I'm not in the mood to sleep," I say sitting next to him. "am I really that bad?" he asks. "what do you mean?" I say.

"you were mad at me when I was in there trying to get Bailey up to his room," he says.

"I wasn't mad at you Derek," I say. "you sounded like you were," he says.

"I wasn't mad, I just had a headache and the talking wasn't helping," I say.

"you made me look like an idiot in front of Bailey," he says. "Bailey's young, Der, hon, I don't even think he was listening to us when we were talking. he's practically deaf when he watches tv," I say.

"did you see his face?" he says. "No, my eyes were closed," I say. "he was smirking, smirking! because he knows he got his way," he says.

"you mean that cute little smirk that he got from you? yea, I know it's cute," I say smiling. "yes, that one. you take his side too much," he says.

"Derek, I'm all for taking your side when the kids are wrong but he really wasn't doing anything. he was quiet and so was the tv, I didn't wake up until you came in," I say.

"still... I just, I don't want him to think he can get away with everything," he says. "and he won't. it was a one time thing, Derek. Bailey won't remember it when he's older," I say.

"and you were embarrassed," I say. "yea, a bit," he says. "it's fine," I say. "what's with these gloves anyways?" he asks picking up my hand.

"nothing," I say pulling it away quickly. "Mere-" he starts. "I'm going to go check on Ellis," I say getting up and going into the nursery.

I go into Ellis' room and sit in the rocking chair. "Meredith, why did you walk away?" Derek asks and walks into the room.

"because I don't want to talk about it," I say rocking back and forth. "Meredith, why don't you just tell me? it can't be that bad, they're just gloves, Mer," he says.

"it's not that big of a deal," I say. "then tell me," he says. "you're going to be bad if I tell you," I say.

"Meredith, just take off the gloves," he says. I roll my eyes and take off my gloves tossing them on the changing table.

"happy?" I ask sarcastically. "I don't see anything," he says examining my hands.

"it's not my hands I was covering up, the gloves go up to my elbows for a reason," I say.

he flips my hands and looks at my wrist. "Meredith, what on earth happened?" he asks looking at the slits on my wrists.

"that's what happens when you're raising three kids alone while your husband is cheating on you in another state," I say standing up and leaving the room

suggestions???