chapter 28: the final clue she needs?

𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞. 𝐚𝐦 𝐢 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐟?

The stars overhead covered the sky like a blanket, the moon's reflection on the lake shining brightly. The chirping of crickets in the night and the hooting of owls provided a soft ambience to accompany the thrum of your heart.

"I've been thinking..."

"That's already a shitty idea, Y/N."

You sat up, brushing your hair to the side with your hand. "What if we do something like really fucking stupid?"

Muichiro moved to face you, his weight in his palms as he passed you a confused expression. "Where is this coming from?"

"Name the last time you did something reckless." You deadpanned.

"Chasing you down was reckless for sure."

"But for fun!" You whined, pushing yourself onto your feet and grabbing his hand. "Come on, stand up you loser."

As he looked up at you, a small blush seemed to bloom across his cheeks at the sight of you smiling so fondly at him. His heart thrummed against his chest as he felt the warmth of your hand pulling him up to his feet.

He mentally thanked the pale moonlight for preventing this moment of weakness to be noticeable.

"What the hell are you planning on doing...?" Muichiro followed your movements with his eyes, watching yours flicker across the landscape.

Your eyes caught ahold of a building in the distance, a rooftop in sight. You immediately pointed at it and grabbed his shoulder in excitement. "There! Let's go there! Last one there owes the other person candy!"

He watched you race off, distraught, before chasing you down. "You're fucking insane if you think I'm buying that overpriced shit!"

A rush of serotonin and joyment hit you as you laughed carefreely, rushing past the streets and grabbing onto the railing of the side stairs.

Muichiro seemed to be one step behind you, racing to catch up.

A gentle mist seemed to fall over the city that night, a chill announcing its presence by rocking your body with shivers.

The sudden instinctual movements of your body had you nearly tripping, doubling over onto the steps and grabbing the next stair with your left hand. "Fuck!"

The black-haired male stopped in his tracks, focusing his attention and concern solely on you. "Oh shit, are you okay?!"

You meekly nodded, moving to slowly stand up. "Yep. I'm good. That was dumb."

Muichiro grabbed your wrist and pulled it over his shoulder, his other hand moving to your waist. "I'll brace you. Too busy falling for me?"

"In your dreams." You rolled your eyes and let him guide you to the rooftop.

The rooftop seemed to emphasize the view of the moon, each star glowing brightly and the dark sky contrasting beautifully with the array of light.