BotW!Link x Reader - Bottles

A blinding glare from off the cerulean waves pierced his eyes. Glinting off the water, a bottle bobs, carefree in the current.

Moving through the sand to investigate, Link notices it not far from shore. Taking off his boots and chucking them aside, he wades through the shallows. Scooping up the clear bottle, he notices a scrap of paper within. Walking back to the beach he pops the cork, removing the small paper. Messy writing scrawled across the paper, he smiled.

Dear Stranger,

How are you? I hope you are well. Assuming this finds anyone at all.

I like to think of you finding this and smiling. Of course this is but a pipe dream, nothing is beyond these waters. I send a wish to the windfish for this, unlikely though it may be. I like to try anyway though.

Shall you send a wish as well then?

- (Y/n)

A large grin encompassed the boy's face. This (Y/n) person seemed to live out on an island. He had been lucky enough to find the letter. Carefully putting it back in the bottle, he returned home.

———

Dear Stranger,

I'm sure you are well. That must be why I've received absolutely no responses to my letter. I'm really trying with this relationship, but it can't be one sided! Unless, of course, my letters are just floating in the sea waiting to return to me.

Well in any case, I've included a small trinket that I made for you. I hope you like it. I have one to match, so when we meet I'll know it's you.

I'd love to have a name to put on my letters rather than "Stranger". Make a wish for me!

- (Y/n)

Link pulled out a small metal pendant the shape of a seashell. It was quite meticulously crafted, with many small details. Link admired the work put into his gift, he was set on sending one in return.

Link had been receiving letter such as these for weeks now. Of course he had written back, though he had not had the courage to throw it to the waves.

His bottle was a little more messy than the ones he had received, he had really hoped it could make the journey. Before throwing it to the waves, Link added his own gift to the bottle. Some seeds from a silent princess. They were native to Hyrule, so if this mystery person knew what it was, he could find them more easily.

Sticking the cork back on the bottle, he hurled it to the sea.

———

Dear STRANGER,

Thank you for including everything BUT YOUR NAME. What kind of relationship is this if I don't even get the courtesy of writing a name at the top of my letter?? Unbelievable. I've been writing to you for weeks, you've known my name this whole time!

I saw your gift. I've planted them in the hopes that they will grow into something unfamiliar. If this is someone from Koholint I'm going to be very upset. Are you from Koholint? Anyway, I sent a wish to the windfish that you aren't.

- (Y/n)

p.s. I'm not writing another letter until I receive one with a name on it :)

Link chuckled at the contents of the letter. Of course he had forgotten his name. Reading further, the name "Koholint" appeared. It was not at all familiar. No part of Hyrule bore this name. Link was puzzled. He read over previous letters, a "windfish" was mentioned quite a bit. Hyrule knew nothing of such a thing. He decided to pay a visit to Purah. Maybe she had some old maps of Hyrule.

"Koholint. An illusory isle talked about centuries ago. There isn't much on it. I've read almost everything I can on it. It was a point of obsession when I was younger." She laughed, "all of my research is upstairs. In a journal called 'Myths'."

Link was stunned. Illusory isle? It couldn't be the case. The letters were real. Unless, someone had been faking their whereabouts in these letters. Link ran upstairs, grabbing the journal. Flipping through the filled pages, he finally found one labeled "Koholint".

Koholint
An island that exists completely in the dream of the Windfish. An isle awaiting their hero in green to kill the nightmares within.

This island was said to be discovered by a young man thousands of years ago, though sadly with no proof of its physical existence. The boy who had been ship wrecked there could no longer find his was back to it. Leaving it as a myth in this book.

It's not possible. How could any of this be true? The book went on to list in detail parts of the island. Maybe he could ask about the name of the village this person was in and see if it matched the book.

Link returned to the shores, bottle in hand. This time he had written his name and asked about the island. Maybe he could get some specific details about it.

———

Dear Link,

My! How good it feels to finally put a name on the top of my letters. Thank you for finally giving in. Your gifts started to sprout, and wow are they weird. I've never seen a flower this shade before. What are they called?

In regard to your question, I am in Mabe Village. Can I ask where you are from?

- (Y/n)

The name Mabe Village did infact match the names in the book.

Link was puzzled. How could this be possible? The island was fake. Maybe the Windfish had fallen asleep again? Either way, Link was intrigued.

He wrote his last letter.

Dear (Y/n),

They are called Silent Princesses. And I am from a land called Hyrule. Everything here tells me that your island does not exist. Your letters prove them wrong. I am coming to find your island.

You'll know who I am.

- Link

And so the hero started his journey, of to find an island that should not exist.

The sea got more reckless the farther he went out, suddenly turning into a savage storm.

Waves tore at his boat, wind slashed at his sail, eventually, the vessel gave in to the sea. Disappearing to the depths.

WHEN I DOST AWAKEN,
KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE...

ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM
LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD...

SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD...

———
1079 words.
12/19/23