BotW!Link x Reader - Exhausted Confessions

"What do you think of Paya?" Link asked as you left Kakariko Village.

"She's very shy, but a kind person nonetheless. Why?" You cocked your head at Link.

"I dunno, there's just something... Ah never mind." He sighed with a lovesick grin, averting his eyes.

"Oh." Your reply was simple, but held a lot of emotions, wanting to change the subject you spoke up, "So, what would you like for dinner?"

"Whatever you feel like making."

"Oh, okay."

Your journey with Link had been great, until he met Paya. It was clear that he liked her. And it was beyond clear she liked him. But this didn't stop your feelings for the hero. Your feelings were painful, especially when he spoke of her. He was clearly too dense to see your feelings that you had laid out for him to see. Especially as he bulldozed all over them without even noticing.

———

"When do you think we have to go back to Kakariko? I have something for Paya that I think she'll like." Link walked ahead of you while looking down at the Sheikah Slate.

You sighed, exasperated. You had tried so hard to keep the conversation from heading this direction. But somehow it always circles back to Paya. You were starting to break down. At this point you were becoming so obvious that your feelings should have been hitting him in the face. But alas, they flew straight over his head. I guess love has him hyper-fixated.

"I don't know Link. You are the hero, you tell me." You looked down at your feet as you followed him.

Suddenly he stopped, whipping around to look at you, "I have a great idea!" He grinned wildly, "At the next shrine, we can activate it and then go back to Kakariko, then after we can come right back to where we were!"

Running ahead of you before you could open your mouth, Link started to frantically look for a shrine.

You shrunk in on yourself at his words. Slowly you continued your walk, "Yeah." You mumbled, "Sounds great."

After an hour of searching, Link finally found a shrine, once activating it he spoke up with his hand out to you, "Come on! We can go to Kakariko now." He smiled.

Walking a little closer to the shrine, you stopped at the edge, "You. You can go to Kakariko. Alone." You evaded his confused gaze.

Link looked genuinely taken back, walking closer to the edge of the shrine platform he questioned you, "What? You're my partner. I'm not going to just leave you here." He chuckled.

Lifting your head you met his eyes with a fire-like stare, "No Link. I can't take this any longer. I've kept my mouth shut for the sake of your feelings. But right now I need to be selfish, or I'll be miserable."

"What are you talking abo-"

"Just shut up and let me speak. We've been travelling together for months, and you never noticed. At first I had dropped subtle hints, I'd do your hair for you, I'd try make you feel better when you had an off day." You started to raise your voice, "I'd send my best smile your way every time you so much as glanced at me!" Your cry was loud enough that you knew he could hear you, and the others around as well.

Bringing your voice back down, you continued, "But then you met," Your breath hitched and your voice cracked, "Paya."

With a deep breath you tried to regain composure, "And ever since then that's all I've ever heard about. Do you know how much it hurts?" Bringing evenness back to your voice you went on "I've been in love with you for an embarrassingly long time. How could you not have noticed?" Your face scrunched to display even the smallest bit of your malaise.

...

Not a word.

....

Not a single sound.

.....

Link did not utter one syllable after your confession. Only displaying a straight face.

Growing angry at his silence you yelled, "You seriously have nothing to say?! At least have the decency to tell me you don't feel the same!"

...

More silence. The crows behind you flew from the ground when you walked their direction. Stopping around fifty feet from the shrine platform you spoke up for the last time, "I hope things work out for you and Paya. Goodbye Link." You had tried to sound sincere, but you could not help the distain and pain in your voice. As you walked away, you had tried to calm yourself down. After all, you had always known him to be oblivious. Hell the first time you met, he slammed your door open at 2 am without so much as a knock. Luckily, you were up anyways, but that didn't stop you from getting into a screaming match with him.

Finding the nearest stable, you checked out your horse, galloping towards Hateno Village where you previously lived.

———

It had been three weeks since your noisy confession to Link. And your life had returned to the same routine you followed before you had met the Hero.

Get up late, feed your horse, do house hold chores, help out with the neighbours Cuccos and then waste time until the late night to early morning hours.

Lately you had not slept. And though you didn't care, your neighbours had tried to the best of their abilities.

You sat in your room looking out the window, watching as the moon passed through the star stained sky.

A loud slam was heard from your front door. Without hesitation you pulled your sword from beside your bed and walked towards the entrance. You already knew who it was.

Walking up to the intruder you held out your sword, "Get out."

"(Y/n)! It's me." Link's voice was urgent.

"Oh don't worry I know who it is. Get out of my house." Maintaining your hold on your sword you walked closer and into the light of the moon cast from a nearby window.

Link's eyes widened at the clear lack of sleep. The bags under your eyes were heavy, but this still didn't stop you.

"You look horrible."

"Gee thanks. Get out. You have no reason to be here." You deadpanned.

"I'm sorry. I should've said something to you." The boy looked down.

"Yes. You should have."

An awkward silence ensued.

"I'm not with Paya. It turns out she didn't like me the same way." Link scratched the back of his head stepping forward into the light, revealing the bags under his eyes, "Turns out she was just nervous because she found me intimidating."

You noticed his eye bags, "You look horrible." You finally dropped your sword. Gesturing for Link to follow you, you grabbed an extra mattress and blanket. Placing it on the ground you pushed Link onto the bed.

Link sat there and listen as you fell onto your bed with a loud thump. He chuckled, "Can I have a pillow?"

You whipped one across the room and hit him in the face.

A muffled, "Thanks." Followed.

———
1184 words.

This took a different turn at the end other than what I was expecting. Sorry this request took so long, I've been slowly working on it
-hylianqueen