Chapter 41: Interlude XIII

*Danny*

Did you know that soul mates don't actually have to be romantic relationships? Because I didn't. 

I thought Scott got better. We were learning more about each other. I was starting to enjoy Scott's company. And then I found him out in the preserve fucking my neighbor, Kaede Michaels. A quiet blonde who volunteers at the hospital while she's in nursing school. 

~Flashback~

I needed to clear my head. I have this anxiety for a reason unknown to me but walks in nature have always cleared my head. Calmed me down. Maybe because it reminds me of family vacations to Hawaii. Of spending every day on a new outdoor adventure. 

Enjoying the outdoors, and nature is what I came here for. What I wasn't expecting to hear was a couple of exhibitionists. Honestly, I could deal without the moans and groans. They quite literally drown out the sounds you're supposed to actually hear in a forest. 

I do my best to avoid the area I believe the couple to be in on my way back to my car. Only to freeze when I walked into a clearing. There was Scott buried deep in my next-door neighbor, Kaede. I could not only feel my heart breaking, but I could hear it too. Doesn't McCall realize that what we were doing was dating?! Getting to know each other, truly as soulmates! He has no idea I walked upon them, not even with his werewolf senses. 

I can't. Quickly I turn around and pick a different pathway to get to my car. Unfortunately, I ended up in another clearing. This one is at least silent. I guess I'm so emotional that my sense of direction is tangled up and I'm lost. My walls are cracking. 

So much for clearing my head. 

"Danny?"

I glance to the voice, seeing Stiles. 

He walks closer to me. 

"How'd you find me?" 

"The house is 20 feet in front of you." 

Sure enough, as I blinked away tears a blurry building came into view.

"What happened?" 

"Your best friend is a piece of shit." 

"Scott and I haven't been best friends for years, Danny. We might be able to call ourselves acquaintances at this point, but that's that. Now, what did the dumbass do?"

"He's in a clearing with his dick buried in my neighbor."

The surprise on Stiles' face shows me his thoughts. I know he's always been weird about soulmates. Now I can see the hurt he feels for my situation on his face. 

"Come with me. Most of the pack is out, but Talia is still here." 

He helped me up and inside. 

"Isn't Scott in your pack?" I asked not in the mood to be here if Scott was going to come back.

"He lasted maybe 2 months."

I looked to the woman who spoke, this must be Talia Hale. He never mentioned that to me. 

"Oh."

"Let's have a conversation."

I nodded needing information, a reason, or a distraction. So I followed her down a hallway with Stiles flanking me. I was happy for his silent support. 

~end flashback~

At that moment in time, I thought the Goddess was laughing at me. Because at this point Scott McCall had broken me twice. 

Twice. 

My conversation with Talia was healing though. She helped me understand my own feelings and confusion, especially about why Scott and I didn't mesh when we were truly talking. She said it was because I already had resigned myself to the fact that Scott and I would never work when he was head over heels in love with Allison. Then I fully rejected him during our first conversation about being mates because he wouldn't shut up about Allison. Talia vets that the Goddess must have given me another soulmate and that if I write on my wrist, it won't go to Scott. Talia's theory is that Scott probably had an 'x' show up on his wrist signaling that he no longer has a soulmate. But I don't know, nor do I want to know. 

I want Scott McCall out of my life. He's already moved to LA with Kaede since she transferred schools/hospitals. 

Closing my eyes I tilt my head back to rest against the wall. Currently, I'm sitting on the back porch of the Hale house having joined the pack after that situation, it's where my friends are. I have a pen that I'm twirling in between my fingers debating if I should write to this new soulmate of mine yet or not. 

I'm anxious. What if it doesn't work again? I really don't think I can take another heartbreak. 

~Taking a leap of faith.

 I wrote. It's in fate's hands now. 

~Laura, you're in the other room. Why are you writing me?

My eyes widened. 

~Not Laura.

~Holy Shit. The Goddess actually answered my prayers. 

~Oh?

~ My first mate is a living nightmare. Bullies everyone, even her own family. Her mother included, who is her Alpha. And she does it all because she swears she's going to be the next Hale Alpha.

 "Danny?" Stiles' popped his head out the door. 

I'm sure I have a look of pure shock on my face. 

"Danny, what's wrong?"

"My second chance mate is Laura's husband/mate."

"Holy Shit." 

"Holy Shit." I echoed

~I... Sorry, my first mate was a cheating, unfaithful dumbass. So I'm just in shock. Probably doesn't help that I only just joined the Hale pack within the past couple of months. 

~Who?

~Danny

~Thomas. And don't worry, Angel, because I think I love you already. 

A shy smile formed on my face as I hugged my knees.