Chapter 9: Names are powerful informants

*Stiles*
Things are slowly improving between my dad and I. Hell, I'm even bonding with Chris. It does make me wonder how Allison feels about the whole thing. But judging how they acted when I walked in on them kissing that first time, I doubt she knows. I'm also sure Chris has been trying to find a time to tell her, but every time he goes to do so she flakes on him or tells him they'll have the conversation later because she's going to Scotts. I can tell that it's slowly taking a toll on Chris, he wants to tell his daughter the truth, but she won't stick around to listen. I'm sure when she does find out it'll be a scene. A fight with everyone involved. Lydia is fascinated by the idea of second chance mates, specifically my dad and Chris. To get details, she comes over to hang out with us all of the time. I think she could be fighting with Aiden. Most likely about me and pack things. As far as Lydia's concerned, she's not a part of Scott's pack, she's a part of mine. Though I don't think you can truly be a pack without an Alpha. I think the term that would describe us is rogue or neutral. She says it's nice to be in a family atmosphere again. I have to agree with her there. I was little when I was in a proper one last. It's a nice experience. Scheduled bonding/movie nights every weekend complete with conversations about our days and teasing dad about his diet he's supposed to be on as we chow down on Chinese he ordered earlier in the day for us to have for dinner. He says it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. At this point, I don't care about it anymore. I just want him to keep being my dad. Chris can worry about his eating habits, it's supposed to be a spouse thing anyway. But being in this family-loving atmosphere comes with its downsides. It's overstimulating for me. Sometimes I have to retreat to my room. I used to be extremely extroverted. I hated being alone even for a second when I was growing up. I think it was due to being the only one sitting and watching my mother wither away into nothingness. Watching her die alone, my dad wasn't there for that. He came way after. So I did my best to make myself indisposable, needed, and useful to keep myself surrounded by people. When the Nogitsune had control I learned that surrounding myself with people wasn't a good thing. Any knowledge you have or gain can and will be eventually used against you and those you surround yourself with. So once He was gone I started the distancing. If I couldn't trust myself how could anyone else. Now, when I escape to my room to recharge I'm normally speaking to my soulmate. Thought by now we should have learned each other's names, especially according to Lydia. Though to me, I think being oblivious is a distancing technique I've been doing unconsciously still out of fear and they're beginning to suspect it too. 

Too much family time again? 

 Too much people interaction again. 

 Explain to me what you mean. Talking it through might help you. 

 I was a very extroverted kid my entire life. Then the Nogitsune happened, the evil fox spirit. And I learned being around people might not be a good idea and became introverted. 

Why would surrounding yourself with others be a negative thing little one? 

There they go with the nickname/pet name again. 

If you're the information holder, someone can use that against you and those you have information about. 

 Is that what happened to you and your friends?

Technically, but it also cost my friends. I don't have many of those anymore. Just one who somehow still trusts me. 

Then they're a true friend. Now, Stiles, I believe that surrounding yourself with people who truly care about you is a good thing. It's not necessary for you to be the information keeper. It's not a job you should feel like you'd need to take on. You shouldn't be someone's friend to be useful, Stiles. 

Okay I get that, but after the Nogitsune I can't. It's paralyzing. 

Just breathe Stiles don't think too much on it. 

Hold on, that's the third time they've used my name and I know for a fact I've never mentioned it in our conversations. 

How do you know my name? I never old you. 

Well my nephew, Derek, mentioned your name when he and his younger sister, Cora, got too curious about our conversations. 

Derek and Cora's uncle. Peter. My soulmate is Peter. Definitely older than me. Holy crap he's a Hale. Talia Hale is his Alpha. She's a powerful one, the one who actually owns Beacon Hill territory. Has claim to it, not Scott. Of course, he'll never listen to me on the matter, but that's not important. 

That makes you Peter Hale then, right. 

Smart boy

*KNOCK KNOCK*

I looked up as Lydia pushed the door open, bag in tow. 

"Spending the night?"

"Obviously."

"What about Aiden?" 

"He's with Jackson and Ethan. We're fighting and I'm waiting for him to take his head out of his ass and notice Scott's not a leader. He's a bitch." 

She's not wrong. 

"Scoot over." 

I did as told and she laid down next to me. We laid there in silence, enjoying each other's company. Peter's right, Lydia is a true friend.