|31| Confessions

TARGET: 115 VOTES🌟

A/N: Many readers didn't get the notification for the previous update(maybe that's why the engagement on the previous part was low), do remove and re-add the book to your reading list. And read the last chapter if you haven't, cuz this one wouldn't make any sense without that one.

( Do follow me, if you don't want to miss an update because I announce every chapter on my conversations board)

"Tara was pregnant with our baby."

Record. Skip. Rewind.

Say what now?

I gaped at him at the incredulous confession. I mean, how to react to that? I waited for him to elaborate because none of this was making sense right now.

His eyes slowly blinked when he glanced at me, they were glassy with unshed tears, as he uttered his next words, "She miscarried in the second trimester. And she blames me for the miscarriage. Tomorrow would be the date, ten years ago when we lost the baby," His voice cracked when he explained.

I reached for his hand on his thigh.

"And maybe she is right. Maybe I was the one responsible for the fate of that unborn baby. I told her to abort when I first came to know it. I was harsh with my words. It took me weeks to accept."

Next, when he looked at me, a lone tear slid down his cheek.

"What about your parents? Did they support both of you?" They both were so young, surely they must have had some support from the elders.

He shook his head before breaking the eye contact again. "We didn't tell them. I had just graduated college and was going for my MBA and Tara was just a year into the college. Tara's family...they are... Her Dad, he's the Chief Minister. His election campaign was at its peak. His career would have been torn into pieces by the media if they had known about his unwed pregnant daughter."

"Tara is Loknath Sharma's daughter?" I asked, shocked at the revelation. That was the most influential family in state politics with generations of legacy. Her father had held his position as the C.M. for the last fifteen years.

He nodded his head ruefully. "She was at the event tonight because she handles the charities of her father. Our dads were friends. I proposed marriage to her, out of obligation, when I got to know about the baby, but she refused."

"But you must have been in a relationship, right?" I stressed.

"That was the main problem. We were not in a relationship," He said, glancing out of the window, as if embarrassed.

My eyebrows furrowed as I said, "Then how? I mean, was it some no-strings-attached kind of thing?"

"There was no thing. Not ever. It was just a one night stand from which I can't remember even a second. And same goes for Tara. She doesn't remember what happened. How it happened. Nothing. Just that it was my graduation party and we were drunk out of our minds to remember anything," He sighed sadly, "And the results of that were in front of us a month after. Tara refused marriage because we both knew that there were no feelings we had towards each other. She just wanted to let the baby in this world and let him or her grow in a loving environment in shared custody. But-" He stopped, taking a deep breath as I squeezed his hand to provide him some solace, "But I fucked up when I told her I didn't want to keep the baby. I should have taken the responsibility for my actions."