Chapter 22

CJ led the group around the back of the town, and too a small house that was a good distance from the neighborhood. "Is this your place?" Blade asked. "Yes. Now, my mother is blind. So when she hears us all, and freaks out, dont say anything. Let me handle it" CJ said. They all nodded. CJ opened the door and they all walked in. Her house was pretty normal, besides the stable in the back. In the living room, sat a woman with brown ears and a tail, with long black hair. She sat running her fingers along the pages of a book, reading braille. Her ears twitched as the group got closer and her hand stopped. CJ stopped and held her hand up, telling her friends to stop moving as she walked to her mother. "Charlie is that you?" The woman asked. The entire group was shocked at her name. "Yes mama" CJ said wagging her tail. The woman closed the book and stood up. "Whos with you? You didnt get caught did you? There arent cops staring at you right now are there?" She asked. CJ smiled sympathetically. "No mama. Those are my friends. Everythings fine" she said. Her mother smiled and reached out her hand. CJ took it and hugged her. "We have to stay here for a bit for that quest I told you about. Is that ok?" CJ asked. "Of course" her mom said. Her mom pulled back a bit and put her hands on CJs face. "You've had quite the adventure" she said shocked. CJ chuckled. "Yes mama" she said. "Your friends are very quiet. Id expect more seeing how they're your friends" her mom said. CJ rolled her eyes. "Theres nine of them mama. Im not gonna introduce them all to you right now" CJ said. "Their loss" her mom shrugged. "I like your mom" Blade said with a laugh. CJ face plamed herself. "So they arent mute! Thats a step up! You told them to be careful since Im blind, didnt you?" Her mom said. CJ looked away to escape her mothers non-existent gaze. "How are you so spot on with where you're glaring when you're blind!" CJ said. "Because I know you Charlie" she said. CJ rolled her eyes again. "Never thought Id see someone top you CJ. Your moms got some swagger" Leah said. "Shut. Up." CJ growled. "Dont growl at your friends Charlie. Its not nice" her mom said. CJ sighed. "Yes mama" she said. "Hand me my stick" her mom said. CJ handed her mother her walking stick. She smacked CJs arm with it. "Ow!" She yelped. "Thats for babying me again" her mom said. The group laughed. "Forgive me for caring" CJ said sarcastically. "So are you gonna introduce us or what?" Crystal asked. CJs mother looked over immediately at the sound of Crystals voice. Then she looked back in CJs direction. She felt CJs mood lighten with Crystals voice. She hit her with the stick again. "Agh! Hey!" CJ snapped. "Thats for not introducing your girlfriend sooner!" She said. Crystal and CJ looked at each other and both went dead silent, their faces flushed. Her mom sighed. "Or not. Ok. Im Lex, for those of you wondering. And as surprising as it may be, her name is actually Charlie. So have a blast with that." Lex said. "Its nice to meet you, and thank you for letting us stay here" Silver said. "No sweat. This one worries too much" Lex said gesturing to CJ with the stick. "Seriously how do you do that when you're blind?" CJ asked. "Im blind, not stupid." Lex said. "Ok Im gonna show them to the spare rooms" CJ said walking away.

CJ is out back, tending to her horse. Crystal watched her from inside, thinking. She really does care about CJ, but girlfriend? The idea kinda scared her, but it wasnt appalling. She felt a tap on her foot and turned to see Lex. "Sorry" she stepped out of the way of her and the stick. "Its alright" Lex said. She went to walk but stopped. She looked in Crystals direction and she went stiff. "I was wrong about you and Charlie, wasnt I?" She asked. "A little" Crystal said. "You have feelings for her" Lex said. Crystal blushed and looked back at CJ outside. "Yeah. She's really something. And we've had our moments, but I dont know about girlfriend" Crystal said. "Why not? Dont get me wrong, I get your hesitation. She's definitely got her flaws, and she's not the kindest person at first, but she gets better as you go along" Lex said. "She does. And she has. Im just nervous" Crystal said. "Well, she definitely loves you. She gives you more respect than anyone" Lex said. Crystal smiled. "I think I love her too... oh! Im Crystal, by the way" she said. Lex smiled. "Its nice to meet you. I hope Ill be chatting with you again, when this is over" Lex said. "You just might" Crystal said.

Crystal walked out to CJ. "Hey Charlie! Whatcha doing?" She asked. CJ turned and smiled. "Tending my horse. Why, whats up?" She asked. "Well, your girlfriend is starting to miss you" Crystal said jokingly. "Is that so?" CJ said raising an eyebrow. "Yeah she's cold and alone" Crystal said. CJ rolled her eyes. "Impossible. Its like 90 degrees out here. We have sand if you havent noticed. And theres like eight people in the house" CJ said. Crystal giggled and got closer to CJ. "How did your mom tell that?" She asked. "She calls it her mothering instinct. I think shes a psychic" CJ said. Crystal smiled. "Well she wasnt wrong" she said. CJ looked shocked. "She wasnt?" She asked. Crystal shook her head. "I like you CJ. Its why I stood up for you and its why I kissed you" she said. CJ smiled. "So do you wanna give this a shot?" She asked. "Of course. Cant miss an opportunity to ride a cowgirl" Crystal said with a smirk. CJs jaw dropped and Crystal laughed. "So do you have one of those hats?" Crystal asked. CJ rolled her eyes with a smile. "Maybe" she said. "Can I see you wear it?" Crystal asked excitedly. CJ groaned. "Only cause your so excited" she said. She grabbed her cowboy hat out of the stable and put it on. "Wow. You definitely fit the part" Crystal said. CJ rolled her eyes. "Not exactly. This is Marshmallow" she said. "You named your horse Marshmallow? ...willingly?" Crystal asked. "Yeah" CJ said. Crystal smiled and shook her head. "Come on. We gotta go to bed. Seeing how entering this town was hard enough, Im sure tomorrow will not be easy" Crystal said. "Oh it wont." CJ said. She took Crystals hand and they walked back to the house.