Chapter 26: A Town On A Lake

Sneaking our way through the town, and trying to keep up with Bard and his long legs, is proving to be a bit of a challenge for me.

"Stay close." He says. I roll my eyes. Easy for you to say.

"What is this place?" asks Bilbo, looking at all of the people working and selling merchandise.

"This master Baggins is the world of men." says Thorin, pushing ahead. I shiver into my cold wet clothes, I had long given Bard back his coat as I figured he needs it more. I can't wait until we get to his house where I can make a fire.

We make a couple of twists and turns through the town before I sense something with my ears.

"Bard!" I whisper-yell, trying to get his attention; but to no avail.

"What is it lassie?" asks Oin.

"I think guards are heading our way, I can hear them." I say. Oin squints his eyes at me.

"Yes I know the place smells of tar but I don't think Bard can do much for it." He says, turning back around. Oh yeah, Oin doesn't have his hearing trumpet anymore.

"Halt!"

Damn

l quickly scramble to find a hiding place. I look frantically around before finding an empty potato sack and throwing it over my head. I squat down in hopes I look like a literal sack of potatoes.

"In the name of the master of Lake Town I said halt!" The voice continues to yell. In front of me I can hear the dwarves knocking out multiple guards and hitting them with oars and metal bars. I can even slightly see through the straw bag.

"Stay where you are nobody leaves." Says the man. I try to keep my breathing as quiet as possible.

"Braggard!" Says Bard, nervously. The man looks at him suspiciously.

"You. What are you up to Bard?" He asks.

"Me?" Could he be any worse at lying? "I'm looking for nothing." he says, as he continues to ramble on.

"Yeah." Says Braggard, pushing Bard out of the way to investigate. I look over and see a woman silently push over a flower pot onto a soldier's head to keep him from waking up. As Braggard walks closer the other women place their boxes of work down to hide the unconscious soldiers.
I find myself tilting my head at this. Why would they help us? If anything I expected them to call us out immediately. I guess that Alfred guy wasn't kidding when he said Bard has the favor of the people.

After Bard makes up some bullshit lie to Braggard he leads us to the towns septic system. Which really, is just the lake with a couple of small open pipes.

The company looks at Bard like he's crazy. Which in this case he is.

"Why can't we just walk to your home from here?"asks Bilbo, really not wanting to get into the water. I can't say I blame him.

"There are spies watching my house without a doubt. You'll easily be spotted if we just walk in. I'm sorry but this is the safest way." He says. I decide to speak up now before I kill myself swimming through a shit lake.

"Um actually master Bard I can't swim." I say, tightening Thorin's shirt on my hair.

"She really can't." Says Nori.

"She flops in the water like a dying fish." Says Bofur.

"It's quite comical actually." Says Dori. Thorin shakes his head at his comrades.