chapter 28

Just as all her students enter the classroom, Jenna excitedly stands up from her desk, ready to explain a new topic.

"Good morning, guys! Today we're going to start exploring the application of differential and integral calculus in physics," Jenna says enthusiastically.

Murmurs of disapproval fill the room, and Jenna feels slightly uncomfortable. "But teacher... we just got back from vacation," our class representative says. Jenna rolls her eyes in boredom and heads towards the chalkboard, picking up a piece of chalk.

"Well... if you don't want the explanation, we can just go straight to the exam," Jenna shrugs indifferently and genuinely smiles. "After all, I recall assigning it over the holidays," she concludes.

A silence takes over the room, and Jenna smiles triumphantly. Leaning on the desk with one elbow and supporting my head with a hand, I watch amused by Jenna's display of power. To be honest, I recognized this topic almost immediately, as it was one of the first explanations Jenna gave me privately.

My eyes rest on the figure of the brunette, and I take a moment to analyze her. This morning, the teacher was wearing a skirt that reached just below her thighs, a light pink crop top, and a leather jacket covering her shoulders. I bite my lower lip and cross my legs.

"As I thought," Jenna says, not receiving a response, she assumes the option to explain. "Let's take an example of a bullet fired vertically upwards. We want to find out its maximum height and the time it takes to reach that height."

Jenna draws a simple diagram of the bullet moving upwards.

"To start, we know that velocity is the distance traveled in time. In our case, velocity decreases due to gravity's acceleration as the bullet moves upwards. The equation describing the bullet's velocity will be v = -gt + v₀, where g represents the acceleration due to gravity and v₀ is the initial velocity," Jenna writes the velocity equation on the board.

"Now, to determine the maximum height reached by the bullet, we need to find the equation for its position over time. We can do this by integrating the velocity equation with respect to time. The integral will give us the position equation. Do you know what it means to integrate a function?" Jenna looks at the class, waiting for a response. Her amber-colored eyes briefly land on mine, almost inviting me to participate, but I decide to respect her role even though my classmates haven't opened their books during the holidays.

"No, I don't," a student behind me says.

"I appreciate the honesty," Jenna sighs and starts jotting down some notes on the board. "Integrating a function means finding the area under the curve of that function with respect to the horizontal axis. In our case, we're looking for the equation of the projectile's position over time. The equation will be x = ∫v dt."

Jenna writes the position equation on the board.

"Now, to determine the maximum height, we need to find the point at which the projectile's velocity becomes zero. We can do this by setting the velocity equation equal to zero and solving for time t. Once we have time t, we can substitute it into the position equation to find the maximum height reached by the projectile," Jenna continues explaining the process step by step, providing numerical examples, and helping the students understand differential and integral calculus in the specific context of the projectile problem.

"Now that we've understood the concepts of differential and integral calculus in the context of projectile motion, I want to give you an exercise to solidify your understanding. Take notes!" Jenna raises her voice, recapturing the attention of her now-awake students.

Jenna writes the exercise on the board.

"Given a projectile fired vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 40 m/s, I want you to calculate:
1. The equation of the projectile's velocity as a function of time.
2. The equation of the projectile's position as a function of time.
3. The maximum height reached by the projectile.
4. The time it takes for the projectile to reach its maximum height."

I start taking notes, writing down each part of the exercise, yawning slightly.

"Do you have any questions about the exercise? Make sure to use the formulas we've learned and show your complete steps in your work. Once you're done, we can review your answers and discuss them together," Jenna smiles at the class and sits at her desk, starting to scribble something on a piece of paper.

Jenna gives the students time to work on the exercise. During this period, she walks around the classroom to answer questions and provide assistance if needed. Once the students have completed the exercise, Jenna can review their answers, solve the exercise together, and provide additional explanations if necessary. This allows the students to apply the concepts they've learned and consolidate their understanding through practical exercises.

As I continue writing the exercise, I sense Jenna's presence behind me. The teacher leans towards my body, analyzing my calculations, and tentatively lets our fingers brush against each other, seeking minimal contact between our bodies. I glance sideways at Jenna and nervously smile. A strand of her hair obscures our faces, and I timidly lean towards her neck, pressing my lips against her skin.

Jenna slightly startles as she feels the contact of my lips on her neck but quickly regains composure, not wanting to draw attention. "What are you doing?" Jenna whispers through her teeth, and with a smile, I return to writing, feeling the echo of the kiss on my lips.

"It's okay, no one's watching," I smirk mischievously, and Jenna slowly moves away from my desk, breaking the contact between our fingers. A folded piece of paper enters my field of vision, and furrowing my brow, I read the message.

"See you here after lunch, we need to discuss the contest." The note wasn't signed, but the neat and orderly handwriting immediately makes me understand it's from Jenna. It seems the teacher had finally decided to resume our private lessons in the afternoon.

Honestly, I had completely forgotten about this contest.

"Alright, guys, we'll review this on Wednesday," Jenna declares after hearing the bell indicating the change of period. I grab my backpack and walk towards the door, waiting for my best friend, who is still packing her things.

My eyes catch Ajax approaching me.

After Jenna's class, Ajax approaches Enid in the classroom and sees her organizing her belongings. Ajax is saddened by what has transpired between them and wants a chance to clear things up. Kindly, he approaches Enid and asks if they can find a quiet place to talk.

I observe their interaction with a sense of embarrassment, not wanting to intervene.

"Hey, Enid, can I talk to you? I'd like to clear things up between us, and I think finding a quiet place might help us sort out our differences. Can we find a private spot where we can talk?" Ajax says softly, almost bashfully.

Enid looks at Ajax and notes his sincerity in his expression. Despite the sadness she's feeling, she decides to give the conversation a chance. Her blue eyes glance in my direction, conveying with a look that everything is alright.

"Alright, Ajax. We can go to the library. There, we'll be quiet enough to talk without distractions," Enid takes her backpack and slings it over her shoulder. "Don't worry, y/n, see you later," she mutters quickly before catching up with her boyfriend.

Ajax smiles slightly, grateful for Enid's willingness. Both of them head to the library, hoping to resolve their issues and get closer again.

I smile to myself and sigh as I head off to find my friends. After all, I missed Erick, Spencer, and even Diego.