chapter 23

The Christmas holidays were approaching, and I was at Jenna's house. Jenna's family had arrived from California a few days earlier, eager to spend the holidays with their daughter since they didn't have many opportunities to see her during the year. Of course, Jenna's family had no idea that Jenna and I were in a relationship, which complicated things because Jenna was my Calculus teacher.

A few hours earlier, I received a call from my mother informing me that my grandmother wasn't feeling well and that the family would have to travel to Italy to visit her. Due to the high flight costs, I offered to stay in the United States, obviously concerned.

Jenna's family suggested that I spend the holidays with them; they were curious to meet me. I enthusiastically accepted the invitation, grateful for the opportunity to spend Christmas with Jenna's family. I was eager to get to know Jenna's parents better and spend time with them during the festivities.

I did have some concerns about my relationship with Jenna, especially considering the fact that she was my teacher. However, I hoped that we could set aside her role as a teacher and student during the holidays and simply enjoy our time together as friends (in front of her parents).

Despite my worries, I was excited about spending Christmas with Jenna's family. I looked forward to discovering what they had planned for the holidays and feeling welcomed in their home.

"Thank you so much for the invitation; it's really kind of you. I would be delighted to spend the Christmas holidays with all of you," I admitted with a smile.

"We're really glad you've accepted. It'll be nice to have some company during the holidays," Jenna said, giving me a tender look and a smile.

During dinner with Jenna's family, they chatted animatedly, immersed in a pleasant atmosphere. Jenna and I exchanged secret smiles.

I paused in the act of bringing the fork to my mouth when I felt Jenna's hand on my thigh. With a shiver, I tried to ignore her touch and continued listening to the conversations at the table. Jenna's hand moved closer to my inner thigh, and on instinct, I coughed, attracting the attention of those present.

"Excuse me, something went down the wrong way," I admitted, looking at Jenna with narrowed eyes. She hid her smile, looking at her family with enthusiasm.

During dinner, Jenna's parents asked me about school and my plans for the future. I responded enthusiastically, trying to be natural despite the awareness that I had to hide my relationship with Jenna.

The night continued with joy and happiness as the family enjoyed each other's company. Despite moments of caution, the dinner became a precious memory for all, a time when love and acceptance prevailed over the need to hide the truth.

"So, Mrs. Ortega, is there a favorite dish you like to cook during the holidays?" I asked, trying to strike up a conversation with Jenna's mom.

"Oh, dear, call me Natalie... anyway, during the holidays in California, I like to prepare the traditional Christmas turkey with all its sauces and side dishes. It's a family tradition. And you, y/n, what's your favorite Italian dessert during the holidays?" she asked, knowing that I'm Italian.

"I love pandoro! It's a Christmas sweet that I adore. It's fluffy and light, and I love serving it with a bit of mascarpone cream. But I'm also curious to find out what the typical Christmas sweets are in California. Do you have any local specialties?"

"Well, here in California, we have a wide variety of desserts. One of the most famous is strawberry cheesecake. It's a delicious and refreshing dessert, perfect for Californian days. Additionally, we have a strong tradition of artisanal ice creams and sweets made with fresh seasonal fruits," Edward chimed in, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

"Wow, that sounds delicious! I love discovering new desserts and flavors during my travels. I can't wait to try the strawberry cheesecake and other local sweets during my visit to California," I admitted, gently intertwining my pinkie with Jenna's.

"Speaking of California, have you already planned what to visit during your stay? Obviously, if you come in the summer. There are many interesting places to see. For example, the beautiful city of San Francisco with the famous Golden Gate Bridge, and the vibrant atmosphere of Los Angeles with its beaches and theme parks," Isaac added, shrugging casually with a hint of pride for his city.

"I'm fascinated by California, and I can't wait to explore San Francisco and Los Angeles. They're iconic places I've always dreamed of visiting. And I'd also like to discover lesser-known spots; if you have any advice to give, I'd love to hear it," I asked, glancing at Jenna.

"Absolutely! There are many off-the-beaten-path destinations that might interest you, like the beautiful Santa Barbara with its beaches and Mediterranean climate, or the picturesque town of Monterey with its famous aquarium. These are charming places that could enrich your trip," Aliyah, one of Jenna's sisters, chimed in.

"Thank you for the suggestions! I'm truly excited about visiting California and discovering all these wonders. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity," I confessed, taking a sip of my Coca-Cola.

"We're happy to have you here with us,
Y/n. It will be a special experience to spend the holidays in California together, if you decide to come, of course. If you have more questions or curiosities about our city or state, don't hesitate to ask. We're here for you," Natalie said sweetly, smiling warmly at me.

"Thank you, Natalie. I'm grateful for your warm welcome," I said, looking at the family with embarrassment, hearing laughter around the table.

"Have you finished buying all the Christmas presents?" Natalie changed the subject, starting to clear the table.

"Oh no, I'm sorry, I haven't had the chance to do that yet. It's been a really busy period for me," I admitted, remembering the pile of tasks we still had to do.

"I understand, it's a hectic time indeed. But we still need to find a time to do the shopping," Edward smiled at me, taking a sip of his wine.

"Yes, we need to go gift shopping. Can we do it tomorrow?" Jenna looked at me with a smile, clearly excited about shopping together.

"Will you join us, y/n?" Isaac suggested, looking at me with eager eyes. Embarrassed, I looked at Jenna, unsure how to respond. Jenna raised an eyebrow at her brother, trying to read his intentions.

"Yes..." Jenna responded on my behalf, subtly placing her hand on my thigh.