chapter 18

"The cell is made up of the nucleus and the cytoplasm and is enclosed by the cell membrane, which regulates passage in and out. The nucleus contains chromosomes, the cell's genetic material, and the nucleolus, which produces ribosomes." My eyes shift to Olivia, who was jotting down my words in her notebook.

In the late afternoon, I was at Olivia's house to help her study science, primarily about what a cell is and its functions. Olivia nods, giving me a nervous smile.

"One last question... what's cell division?" She puts the tip of her pen between her teeth, thoughtful.

"Cell division is the process by which a cell multiplies, splitting into two. In prokaryotes, it happens through binary fission (DNA filament duplication and subsequent division into two identical new individuals). In eukaryotes, it occurs through mitosis and, in reproductive cells, meiosis." I say, shrugging casually.

Olivia writes it all down and then closes her notebook with a soft thud, sighing with satisfaction and tiredness.

"We're done," she murmurs weakly, looking at me with a smile on her lips.

"We're done,"I repeat, and she stretches, slightly tense from maintaining an uncomfortable position for a long time.

"I'm not surprised you never get a failing grade, you're a book," she says as she gets up from her desk, flopping onto her bed's mattress.

"Don't exaggerate..." I chuckle and give her a playful look. "Now... will you let me hear something you've written?" I nervously bite my lip, accepting the invitation to sit beside her on the bed.

Olivia sighs and reluctantly agrees to my request, blushing as she looks at me. "Wait,"she murmurs softly, leaning towards the edge of the bed, picking up a guitar case from the floor. Olivia glances at me sideways, holding the guitar in her hands.

"I'll sing you a little snippet of the song, okay? Also... I haven't finished it yet," she says, toying with the guitar strings, likely tuning it.

I gaze in awe at her profile. Olivia had her head tilted down, holding the guitar in her lap. Her eyes briefly meet mine for a split second before she looks away with flushed cheeks.

Taking a breath, she closes her eyes, focusing.

"And I won't fight for love if you won't meet me halfway..." she begins to sing. And I say that I'm through but this song's still for you-

Her voice sounds angelic, surprising me with her talent. Olivia glances at me briefly, giving me a small smile.

"All I want is love that lasts" her eyes glisten, still looking at me.

"Is all I want too much to ask?" her fingers pause, interrupting the sweet melody. Olivia sets the guitar aside and looks at me with embarrassment, accepting my applause.

"Oh my god... you have an amazing voice," I admit, and she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, staring at a fixed point on her lap. -Thank you,- she offers a shy smile, and I reciprocate.

A knock on the door draws our attention to the entrance of her room. Olivia's mother, Emma, is standing there with a smile on her lips.

"y/n, dear, why don't you stay for dinner with us?"Mrs. Rodrigo suggests.

With a smile, I look at Olivia's reaction. She's looking at me with bright eyes and a smile, nodding enthusiastically.

"That would be fantastic," I reply, and immediately, two arms wrap around my neck, hugging me. The force makes me lie back on the bed, and amid laughter, I return the hug, smiling shyly at Emma, who watches us with tenderness as I hold Olivia in my arms.