chapter 27

Olivia and I were in the cafe near Nevermore, looking forward to spending some time together before classes started.

"Ah, we finally returned to school after the Christmas break! What do you say, Olivia? Are you ready to get back to books and classes?" I ask Olivia with a smile as she savors her cappuccino. She rolls her eyes at my comment but looks at me with a smile on her lips.

"The holidays were nice, but if I have to be honest, I missed the school atmosphere and seeing my friends. I'm ready to tackle a new period of studying and having fun," Olivia admits, surprising me with her excitement about studying.

"Yes, you're right. Our laughter and camaraderie at school are priceless. I hope this new beginning is special and filled with unforgettable moments," I recall with a smile the times we spent together in science class, where we often got reprimanded.

"Me too! We have a lot of things to share, as always. And the holiday season has given us the chance to have new experiences. Did you do anything particularly exciting during the holidays?" I bite my lower lip as Jenna comes to mind and nod with a smile.

"Well, I had a nice holiday... I enjoyed some free time and went for a few walks around the area," I admit, telling a half-truth. In reality, I went on many walks with Jenna's siblings.

"Chill, I appreciated some time with my family and relaxed. It's important to recharge before heading back to school," Olivia finishes her cappuccino and takes a bite of her brioche.

"Liv, how about we raise a toast to this new beginning?" I lift my brioche and bring it close to hers, wanting to make a kind of toast.

"For our friendship and a fantastic return to school!" Olivia presses her half-bitten brioche against mine, and we toast amid laughter.

The store's bell rings, announcing someone's entrance.

I smile as Enid approaches and return her hug warmly. While I know Enid is going through a tough time due to the situation with Ajax, I decide not to bring up the topic directly so as not to make my friend uncomfortable. Instead, I'll focus on being present for Enid and spending time together as best friends.

"Enid, even though we saw each other yesterday, it's great to see you," I exclaim, trying to infuse joy into our encounter. "I've missed you so much. How are you?"

Enid feels the warmth of the hug and is slightly moved, recognizing t/n's intention to be a positive presence in her life. She tries to smile despite the lingering sadness.

"Oh y/n, I've missed you too," Enid responds sincerely. "I'm trying to move forward, but it's still tough. I'm grateful to have you as a friend. How have things been for you?"

I realize that Enid is trying to distract herself from her troubles, and I decide to respond positively, avoiding mentioning Ajax or other topics that might stir up negative feelings in her.

"Things have been pretty good for me, Enid. I had a nice holiday, and as you can see, I was just talking to Olivia," I look at Olivia with a smile.

Y/n's words reassure Enid and remind her that she still has people who care about her. Her friend's hug and support are a soothing balm for Enid, who feels fortunate to have a best friend like y/n. We continue to talk, avoiding delicate topics but sharing joys and hopes for the future. I commit to being a positive presence and helping Enid through her period of sadness, even though it will take time.

Just as we enter the school, Olivia greets Enid and me with a wave and explains that she has to go to another class. We respond with a smile and wave back to Olivia as she continues on her way. Then we continue walking through the hallways.

My heart pounds in my chest as Professor Ortega walks past us. A shy smile forms on the teacher's face, and I can't help but feel a palpable attraction between us. Aware that I must hide my true feelings toward Professor Ortega, I try to maintain a neutral expression on my face, doing my best not to reveal my emotions.

As Professor Ortega enters the classroom completely, I suppress the urge to approach her and kiss her. I'm aware that it's important to maintain appropriate behavior at school and that our love must remain a secret.

Enid notices the subtle change in my demeanor. Recognizing that there might be more behind my behavior, she decides to ask. In a quick move, she takes my arm, preventing me from entering the classroom.

"Are you okay?" Enid asks me with concern. I try to disguise my response with a tense smile. "Yes, everything's fine. I'm just a bit tired today."

Enid doesn't seem entirely convinced by my answer but chooses not to delve further into the topic. She respects my desire for privacy and simply offers her support.

"Well, if you need to talk about anything, you know I'm here for you, right?" Enid says kindly. I nod, recognizing Enid's attentiveness and understanding.

"Thanks, Enid. I really appreciate it."

I'm faced with a difficult choice. On one hand, I feel the desire to share my secret with Enid, my best friend, to find comfort and support. On the other hand, concerns about the potential consequences of revealing the secret lead me to carefully consider the situation.

My relationship with Professor Ortega is sensitive information and could have negative consequences for both of us. There's a risk of getting into trouble, endangering my reputation, and jeopardizing Jenna's career.

After a moment of hesitation and deep thought, I decide not to tell Enid anything for now. I feel it's a prudent choice, at least until I've had a chance to better assess the situation and its implications. My secret is an emotionally heavy burden to bear alone, but for now, I choose to protect both myself and Jenna by maintaining confidentiality. I hope that over time, I can find the right opportunity to address the issue with Enid or eventually with other trusted individuals.

The decision isn't an easy one to make, but I reflect on my concern for the well-being of all involved parties. In the meantime, I'll strive to confront my feelings and the challenges related to my relationship with Professor Ortega on my own, attempting to strike a balance between my personal life and my school career.

We enter the classroom, and I take a seat in front of the desk, looking directly at Jenna. Jenna gives me a shy smile, and I return the gesture.

"Good morning," my eyes travel over Jenna's form, and she gives me a reproachful look. From the corner of my eye, I notice Enid positioning her book on the desk.

"Good morning," Jenna replies.

Jenna, Professor Ortega, realizes that our secret relationship is causing some frustration for both of us. Although she feels a strong attachment and a desire to openly express her feelings for me, she understands the need for caution to preserve our careers and avoid scandals.

As Jenna prepares to welcome her students to class, she experiences a sense of sadness and longing to freely share her happiness with me. However, she understands that we must be patient and manage our relationship discreetly for the benefit of both.

Jenna commits to focusing on her role as a teacher, striving to give her best to the students despite the turmoil of her personal emotions. She hopes that time will bring about changes and opportunities to openly live our love, but in the meantime, she works to maintain her professionalism and respect the rules governing her work environment.

Jenna's frustration is palpable, but she shares this challenge with me, and we mutually support each other in our decision to keep our relationship a secret for now.

Her eyes look at me mischievously, and she curses the unfortunate timing of getting completely soaked.