chapter 8

The car journey is quite silent.

My eyes were looking out the window, relaxed by the sound of rain falling against the ground. Another shiver ran down my spine from the sensation of wet clothes against my skin. I crossed my arms against my chest, trying to generate as much warmth as possible.

Jenna slows down as she sees the traffic light turn red in the distance.

Occasionally, I could feel her eyes on me, but I was too embarrassed by the situation to think of what to say. I settle back into my seat, tilting my head towards the driver's side.

Did I mention she has a perfect profile? Well... because she has a perfect profile. Her eyes slightly gleamed as she looked at the street, and her lips formed a shy smile. Our gazes met, holding for a couple of seconds.

The traffic light turned green.

"Straight ahead, right?" she asked absentmindedly, shifting gears by moving the lever upward. I mumble in response, tucking a completely wet strand of hair away from my face.

Miss Ortega sighs and leans forward with her free hand to click the radio button, almost as if to break the silent atmosphere. The sweet and melancholic notes of Golden Hour resonate in the car.

"I like this song," she admits, turning the knob to increase the volume.

I looked at her with an open mouth, surprised that she knows this song.

"Do you know it?" the question sounded more aggressive than I intended, and she glances at me, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm only 23, I'm not that old," she says, with a tone as natural as if it were the least strange thing in the world. I open my eyes, incredulous at her words.

"We're only 6 years apart?!" I exclaim, and Jenna, seeing my reaction, bursts into laughter.

It was the second time I heard her laugh, even if it happened on the same day, but despite that, it seemed like the most beautiful thing in the world. Her eyes narrowed almost as if she were squinting, and the dimples on her face formed perfectly. Her nose twitched slightly, and her head leaned forward almost reflexively, her shoulders vibrating with the deafening and angelic laughter. Jenna looked at me, thoroughly amused.

I almost felt satisfied to be the cause of this harmonious sound.

I clear my throat, looking out the window, embarrassed by the intensity.

"To the left..." I whisper, still in shock. I could see in the distance the row of houses, and among them, mine. A red roof, completely restored. Jenna stops on the side of the street, turning off the car.

I grab the backpack that was resting on my feet, turning towards Jenna.

"Thanks for the ride," I affirm, and she raises her lower lip as a hint of a smile, shaking her head reassuringly.

"Don't worry, it's been a pleasure."
I look at Jenna in confusion as she unfastens her seatbelt.

The dark-haired woman turns towards me, leaning slowly towards my body. The beats of my heart increase recklessly, surprised by the sudden gesture. Her brown eyes almost fervently gaze at the lower part of my face, precisely my lips. Our noses brush against each other, and my breath gets stuck in my throat. A mischievous smile spreads across her lips, immediately capturing the attention of my eyes.

Full and perfect lips.

One of her hands moves in my direction, to the side of my head. I close my eyes, relaxing and anticipating the contact between our mouths.

My first kiss.

The click of the door opening behind me makes me open my eyes in confusion.

I  swing open my eyes with a sudden realization.

Jenna returned to her seat, looking at me with confusion. She most likely saw my cheeks completely red.

Oh my god, how could I think she would kiss me? She's my damn calculus teacher!

My lungs suddenly need as much oxygen as possible, and it felt impossible. I felt trapped in this car.

I had to get out of here.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and instinctively leaned forward, thanking Jenna with a kiss on the cheek. The professor opens her eyes in surprise. The contact of my lips on her cheek lasted only a few seconds, so brief that I almost doubted if I had kissed her.

I immediately regret it, seeing her eyes looking at me with a mix of confusion and amusement, her gaze softening.
As the anxiety courses through every fiber of my being, I frantically try to grasp the handle and fling the door wide open, but my hands respond clumsily and uncertainly. The tension in the air escalates as my awkwardness becomes increasingly apparent.

With my heart in my throat, I clumsily try to open the car door, but anxiety renders each movement embarrassing, almost foolish. "Wait," Jenna states with amusement.

Miss Ortega leans forward again and swings the car door wide open.

"Um, goodbyes " Jenna murmurs with amusement, watching me exit the car nervously.

My steps become hurried and nervous as I walk towards home, as if every glance could pierce through my embarrassing situation. I lack the courage to turn towards the car parked in my driveway, as if avoiding that eye contact could erase the awkwardness just experienced. The sound of my footsteps echoes in my ears, blending with the frantic beat of my heart, as I desperately try to distance myself from the embarrassing scene I've just left behind.

I reach the door of my house and ring the bell. While I wait for someone to open, Jenna's BMW starts and drives away.

This is bullshit.