twenty-two

XXII. Bothered PR Manager

CANADA: June 2023

Another race was about to happen and it had become a routine of avoiding each other for Daniel and Clara. Despite talking things out that it was because of their work, there was something that kept them from going to each other.

This was not a mystery to Max, he did not enjoy juggling between the two. He was not liking how the two of them went back to the start. He wished that time in Australia would happen again.

Like usual he had finished his interviews early, so he stood next to Clara who was paying attention to what the questions were asked to Daniel. Despite not being okay personally, his best friend didn't lack in doing her job.

As, she stood there, she didn't realize Max was right next to her. So, when she clenched her jaw when Daniel answered a question about Scarlet, she didn't expect Max's hand to loop with her. She jumped slightly but relaxed when she realized it was her best friend.

"You have been the talk of the grid Daniel." The interviewer said slyly, a smirk on his lips. Daniel simply chuckled and shrugged, "I guess I am. I mean, if we are on the same page."

"Scarlet Lovelle. The newest addition to the WAGs." The man said and Daniel smiled, the kind of smile he would give Clara way back before. It was the same smile that welcomed her mornings. The same smile she would find comfort and warmth in. But there he was now, smiling the same exact way but for someone else.

"You know it's not real right?" Max asked, a way to remind his best friend. "I don't know what you mean..." Clara said undeniably, but her hands said another story. She gripped his hand tighter something that made Max worry.

"Daniel and Scarlet. The interviews. They aren't real." Max said. Clara hummed and nodded, "I don't know why I am needed to be reminded of that. It is part of the plan I did." she explained to him.

Clara Maeve Ankin was stubborn and Max Emillian Verstappen knew that. So, he tugged on her fingers. She looked at him and smile, "Sorry..." she muttered before looking and listening back at Daniel.

"You two have been spotted together multiple times. Is there anything you would like to tell her-" Daniel was cut off with a tap on her arm. He glanced at her and she sent him a knowing look. Despite being a PR Manager, he understood.

"I don't think there is a need to tell anyone, all I will leave is that we are happy and the team is happy." he said expecting the interviewer to stop but he didn't. He kept asking about Scarlet and Daniel looked at Clara. The PR Manager nodded and motioned to the side, it was sign for him to move to another interview.

Daniel apologized to the reporter and moved to the next one. A breath of relief was released from the three of them, seeing as it was Evangeline.

Knowing fully well that Daniel wouldn't be harrassed, Clara leaned closer to Max and gripped his hand tighter. "Are you good Clara?" She hummed and nodded, "Never better."

Max stared at her in silence. She can feel the look her best friend was giving her. She sighed and tugged his hand, "What is it?"

He sighed, "Why are you so bothered about all of this?" Max asked. Clara however answered as quick as he could, "Who said I was bothered?"

The Dutch driver scoffed and raised an eyebrow at him. "Lies. All lies." he said. Clara gulped, "I don't know how you expect me to react to that-"

"Maevy." Max cut her off. She frowned, she didn't like to say anything else but she knew she had to.

"I am not that bothered. I am worried but that's it. It's not like I can be bothered. I am the PR Manager-"

"You were also friends weren't you?"

"Yeah. Maybe that's why I am bothered."

Max raised an eyebrow, "Is he still?"