seven

VII. Home Race

AUSTRALIA: March 2023

Clara can see the excitement of Daniel. Despite the clear distance between them, that didn't stop her from doing her job. She could not lose this one.

But then again, even if they were somewhat awkward- no professional with each other, Clara cannot deny it; the moment he arrived at the paddock, he was buzzing with happiness.

She can feel it from miles away and can see his smile. It was that big smile he would always wear. The one where his eyes would smile too. The smile where his dimples were deep and shown. Not like she would stare at him, she would never admit that.

She was standing by the side as Daniel was doing press with some drivers he was grouped with. He was joking around with Lando and George, his laughter filling the air.

Clara didn't realize she was studying him. She couldn't even comprehend what the answers they were giving Evangeline. All she knew was that Daniel had this happiness around him. It was infecting the team and she can't but smile at the thought.

"You're staring Maeve." Max's voice brought her back to reality. Her feet landing on the ground. She shook her head and snickered. Crossing her arms, a defense mechanism that Max knew all too well. It was like she was constricting herself from showing anything. He hated that. He hated this version of his best friend.

"I'm keeping an eye on him." Clara answered, her voice uptight and her eyes changed. It wasn't glistening in admiration and they weren't bright anymore. It made Max frown.

"So...You forgave him?" the Dutch driver asked. The girl hummed and shook her head, "No. I'm doing my job." It was as if she was stating the obvious but to her best friend, she was just trying to convince herself.

"And he's trying to prove to you that it was spur of the moment. Come on, give him a chance will you?" Max said frustrated. He hated that his two very close friends weren't getting along. "I'm just doing my job." she reasoned as she finally turned to him.

Max looked at her knowingly, "But that doesn't stop you from actually talking to me." Clara knew his point but it wasn't as if she would easily break.

"That's because I know you Maxie." she said, smirking at him. Max rolled his eyes, he had told her multiple times to not call her that when they were at work.

"Maybe you should get to know Daniel too. You never know, you two might get along."