seventeen

XVII. Heart to Heart

MAX'S PLANE: May 2023

It's been days since Clara had talked to Daniel the same way she did back in Australia. And also with that, she also tried her best to avoid him, this was clear and noticed by everyone in the team.

For Daniel, he was beyond confused but every time he would ask Max he would just say something about boundaries and he couldn't understand. Max was Clara's secret keeper and he knew that, but he had a sliver of hope that maybe he would slip and say something that can make him understand.

But then a silver lining landed on Daniel's feet. Clara had flown with him and the rest of the drivers for Max. The Dutch driver had begged her saying she wouldn't have her team with her when she flew. Clara hated flying alone, which was why she was also tense when she was left in Australia and that was why Max was very adamant to ask how she was the whole time.

But there they were now, in Max's plane. Clara was sitting next to Max who was chatting with Pierre about the last race in Miami. Daniel had been bouncing his legs, Lando who had his earbuds on groaned and kicked his leg.

Daniel looked at him, confused but Lando simply motioned towards Clara. Daniel furrowed his eyebrows which made Lando roll his eyes, "Just go to her." he said. But Daniel shook his head, "I don't think-" "Are you going to do it or shall I?" Lando was about to stand up but Daniel pulled him back down.

This made Lando smirk and motioned to Clar again. Daniel sighed and sucked up the thoughts and moved to sit in front of her.

Clara can feel him sit in front of her but she didn't look up. "Lara." he called out but she only replied with silence. Despite the disappointment, Daniel decided on just saying it, "Let's go to Milan."

This caught the attention of Clara and she looked up because of the words he said. But not only the words but also the warmth that covered her hands, she looked at them and realized that Daniel had placed his hand on top of hers. The feeling of warmth grew as it reached her cheeks, how can that happen from a simple act of resting his hand on top of hers.

She stared at them before looking back up at Daniel slowly, "What?" she asked, still dazed from the simple action. Daniel sent her a small smile, "It's a bit of a train ride from the track but-"

Clara shook her head and cut him off, "Danny." He hummed and squeezed her hand. You're killing me Danny. "Yes Lara?" he asked genuinely. Despite the smile on his face, she frowned making his smile falter.

"I can't-"

"Before you say you can't. Just think about it. No work, just me and you in Milan. You told me you always wanted to go but you couldn't. Please?"

ITALY: May 2023

Clara had agreed and was now exiting Max's plane. The drivers had gone down first just in case, not wanting a media day about how the RedBull PR Manager was flying with them. It wouldn't be the first time but Clara was still feeling iffy about how Christian talked to her last time.

As she was walking away from the plane, Daniel appeared from beside her. "Lara. I don't know what I did and honestly Max can't explain shit. Whatever it is, I'm sorry."

This made her sigh and turn to him, she stopped walking making him stop. "Why are you so bothered about it Danny?" she asked. His heart jumped a bit at the nickname. He gulped and shrugged, "Because we're friends. Aren't we?"

He had a point and Clara knew that, "Yes. We are." Daniel hummed and nodded, now a frown on his face. Clearly, this really was bothering him, "Then why are you pushing me away?"

Clara's heart broke. She didn't mean to hurt Daniel, he didn't deserve to be hurt that way. But she was hurting him, slowly. "Work." she simply said. She didn't lie, she never did but it still hurt Daniel and she hated herself for that.

"You don't do that with Max though." Daniel admitted, seeing the difference on how Clara would treat Max and him.

She shrugged and looked away, "Because you're different Danny. You have always been."