six

VI. Professionalism

SAUDI: March 2023

Daniel cringed as the events yesterday replayed in his head. It was like a recurring nightmare that kept him up all night.

He scolded himself when he realized the consequences of his actions. He wasn't usually the one to get affected by what happened but he was so annoyed with the car and with himself that it pushed him off the edge. That meant putting all the frustration towards the nearest person around. And unfortunately that was Clara.

He felt guilty the moment he said those words but he saw the way Clara pulled back. She just nodded and walked away, leaving him there with his thoughts.

Daniel saw the shock and hurt in her bright brown eyes. The way her lips frowned and her eyebrows furrowed. But today was another day, or so he thought.

"Clara. Can I talk to you?" Daniel said nervously. For the first time in knowing Daniel, that was the first time that she saw him act that way.

But then, her mind reminded her of the "What can I do for you Mr. Ricciardo?" That caught him off guard. The way she stood in front of him, stoic, expressionless. They weren't close, but he still couldn't recognize her.

"Wha- Don't call me that. You call me Daniel." he stuttered. He knew he did wrong but he didn't expect it to turn out like this. Clara sighed and shook her head, "I'm your PR Manager, I'm just doing and saying what is appropriate."

And suddenly, Daniel's heart broke involuntarily. He didn't realize the extent of his words until now. "Clara- I'm sorry about yesterday."

But she shook her head, she sent him a small smile. One that didn't reach her eyes, he noted. "No need to worry, it's all part of the job."

Daniel felt his heart sink, he couldn't find the words to say anything else. She took that as a sign that the conversation was over. So, she nodded and was about to walk away, but Daniel spoke again, "Clara."

She let out a sigh and turned to him, "Yes Mr. Ricciardo?" He frowned, clearly, he didn't like how the change was going.

"I know I overstepped with snapping at you and I am so sorry. Like genuinely and I understand if you won't accept it, but please, go back to calling me Daniel at least."

Clara pursed her lips, staring at him. But then, his lips pouted and his eyes twitched. A glint of sadness in them. She sighed and lowered her head, "Okay...Daniel." And with that she walked away.

Daniel stared at her with a frown. He didn't realize Max was now standing next to him.

"Damn. You really messed up."

"Shut up Max."