three

III. By Chance

BAHRAIN: March 2023

Free practice 1 and 2 had just finished and everyone of the team was cooling down. "Try it today. She's in a good mood." Max said as he sipped on his straw, trying to get the last bits of his drink.

Daniel sighed and shook his head, "I don't know Max. I do not want to be embarrassed today." The driver had tried multiple ways and he had come empty handed every time. When the season had started, he had noticed something about the girl. It was as if she was close to everyone except from him. This bruised his ego a bit.

"I swear to you, she won't." Max said confidently. Daniel stared at him, contemplating on what his teammate had said. This made Max groan and push him, "Just go will you?"

The Aussie driver decided on trusting his friend and walked to their PR Manager. She had just said good bye to the mechanic that she was talking to. She was standing there, checking something on her phone when she heard someone clear their throat behind her.

Clara turned to see Daniel. She was not surprised anymore. He had tried everything to annoy her these days so this one won't be different.

"Yes Daniel?" she asked with a small smile on her lips. At least she's smiling at me, he thought as his lips parted at the sight of her smile. No matter how big or small her smile was, Daniel would have to study it. Will it reach her eyes or is it that kind of smile she gives to people when she is exhausted.

"Daniel?" "I um- How you doing?" he asked. Daniel wanted to hit himself on the head. But Clara let out a small chuckle, "I'm good. Do you need anything Daniel?" she asked as she tilted her head. Something Daniel saw as adorable.

"Ugh. I knew this would happen." he muttered as he shook his head. "What would happen?" Clara asked. She was beyond confused, Daniel never acted like this. He would always come up to her strong, not like this. Talking to himself as if she wasn't in front of him.

"Are you free? You wanna walk around the track?"

"Daniel-"

"I know you're about to say no but you're always focused with work and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I really would like to be friends with you." Daniel cut her off. Clearly already used with her responses. But he was not ready for this one.

"Why?"

"Because I have been working with you for a while and for a longer time. I would like to get to know you more."