EPILOGUE

As soon as the familiar warmth of Vernazza had washed over my skin, I felt tears prick my eyes. I was back and although it was the same town, it felt entirely different. It was as though I could see it in an entirely different light, a different kind of beauty. I was now twenty one, the age Nico was when I met him. Multiple doubts spear my mind as I walk down the rickety stairs. Nostalgia drowns me as I look at the view of the ocean, the pastel buildings. I could almost sob with relief.

What if Nico isn't here? What if he took up his thoughts of potentially travelling or his family had moved to another place? My heart squeezes in my chest and it feels as though I have been transported back in time, eighteen once again. It feels as though he's right next to me, leading me down the steps to another of his surprises. 

As I move through the bustling streets, I find it hard to breathe. What if this all goes horribly wrong? What if he had completely forgotten about me as soon as I stepped foot off the island? What if he had moved on and settled down?

The familiar sign comes into view of the seaside restaurant and a slither of my heart reconnects. Emiliano's. It's still here. I could cry from the sight. Even though I want nothing more than to burst in there, declare my undying love for him and kiss him until I forget my own name... my feet stay planted in the same spot. 

The breath is knocked out of me when I notice those blue, piercing eyes through the crowd. He doesn't notice me as he continues bussing tables. Nico, the selfless man I know and love, still helping his family. 

I notice his smile light up and I follow his gaze. A woman. Moving slightly closer, I try not to fall apart. His tattooed arms wrap around her and as she pulls away I notice her swollen stomach. Nico's eyes are full of brightness as his hands reach for her stomach, a small tentative touch. It's as though I cannot breathe. I spent three years in silent agony, loving him from miles away. Nico had moved on... started a family. 

It's as though my heart had fallen out of my chest and splatted onto the scorching pavement and a moped had run over it countless times before giving it back and placing it back in my chest. 

A strong sting of betrayal drowns me as I watch him smile at her, nothing but happiness in his eyes. I had spent three years of my life, reminiscing and crying over a man that couldn't care less about me. Calli was right. She was fucking right and it burned me with the power of a thousand suns at the revelation. 

Nico's eyes roam over the crowd and before I can hide behind someone or take cover, those blue eyes meet mine. His smile drops and his brows furrow - as though he can recognise me but he's not sure where from. It's as though his legs move at their own accord as he leaves the woman, practically ripping the apron from his waist and slinging it on a table nearby. 

Unable to face him and listen about his new life, his new girlfriend and child on the way... I turn on my heel and head back through the crowd. Weaving through the waves of bodies, I move as fast as my legs will take me without it looking like I am running for my life. 

"Heidi!" his voice shouts and waves of shock jolt through me. His voice is just as I remembered but deeper, huskier. I freeze. I can't run, he'll simply continue to chase me. A rough hand wraps around my elbow, turning me. Electricity runs through me and I'm reminded of the day I begged a higher power for one more touch. Now I want nothing more than to run away. "Amour mio..." he whispers as his eyes roam my face, as though he can't quite believe it.

Tears well at the sight of him, he looks exactly the same except a light stubble shadows his jaw. Those eyes are even more daunting up close and I find myself having to look away. Looking to the left, I attempt to keep my emotion at bay. "I shouldn't have come..." I say, just above a whisper and his hand gently wraps around my chin, forcing me to face him.

"You're here... I have been waiting for you... I saw your letter," Nico says and the breath is knocked out of me. I move to the side and look back at the woman who stand talking to someone else and I'm beyond confused. Nico follows my gaze and he shakes his head as if piecing it together. "She's my cousin, rosa. She's visiting from the neighbouring island... we haven't seen her in years," he explains. 

Everything falls into place and I curse at myself for ever jumping to conclusions. What if he had never seen me? What if I had left under the notion that he had moved on and no longer loved me?

As if on instinct, my arms swing around his neck and I crash into his chest. "Nico," I breathe and his arms wrap around my waist, holding me tighter than he ever has. The safety of his arms breathe me back to life and his touch makes the blood in my veins sing. It's as though every second he holds me, another piece of my heart is pieced back together. 

"I have missed you so much, amore mio. I'm so sorry, I should never have let you leave and spoke to you the way that I did. I thought that was it. You'd never come back after how I'd treated you. Your letter gave me hope but I doubted I'd be worth it..." he says into the crook of my neck. 

Going against every cell in my body, I pull back to face him once again. Brushing a dark lock away from his forehead, his eyes lock with the tattoo on my wrist. Softly wrapping his hand around my forearm, I watch as a grin spreads across his face. "You'll always be worth it," I say and his lips press against the rose. 

"I love you so much... every day for the past three years, you've been my every waking thought," he admits and I realise how although we were apart, we were together in our pain. 

It's decided, I want to spend the rest of my life with this man. 

*** 2 years later ***

Nico

The soft rays of the sun glowed against her skin, she was as radiant as ever. As soon as I'd seen her in my family's restaurant and her beyond adorable attempt at speaking Italian, I knew it was it for me. The sight of that smile, that would tug on even the coldest of hearts strings, would forever be etched into my memory. 

"Can I look yet?" Heidi wines, the blindfold still intact. 

I smile down at her as we stand in front of a building, one of the oldest in Vernazza. My arms wrap around her, my hands placed softly against her swollen stomach. Heidi was ready to pop. She had moved over here a while after she visited and let's just say, I was pretty excited to be able to wake up next to her for the rest of my life. A bit too excited. We spent every moment together, making up for the lost time. Her grief lessens everyday and I'm more than glad to take the weight of it on my shoulders on her bad days. Michelle had never really approved of me but it was still a shock to the system when I had heard of her passing. Each day I attempt to take away as much pain of Heidi's as I can.

"Yes, amore mio, you can take it off," I smile and watch as she lowers her blindfold and her eyes meet the worn building. Confusion fills her features before I tell her the best part. "This is all yours... for your bookshop," I explain. 

She places a hand over her mouth in what I am sure is shock. Heidi twists in my arms, her belly creating an impenetrable distance between us that I wish to close. Tears shine in those green eyes I have fallen impossibly in love with and she presses an intoxicating kiss against my lips. My woman. My love. I would do anything for her. 

"Thank you so much," she breathes, tears spilling down her beautiful cheeks. Her eyes widen before she quickly reaches for my hand, pressing it against her stomach. A small kicks lands on the palm of my hand and I can't help my smile, wonderfully enamoured. "I think she approves," she laughs, the sound like a punch to the heart. 

"Let's hope she also approves of this," I smile and her brows furrow in questioning. I drop to one knee, my heart pounding a thousand beats per minute. Heidi's hand clutches her chest as I pull out the box, bearing the ring to her.

A small sob breaks loose from her mouth. "Yes."