Chapter Twenty Three

We'd finally bought a stack of books and Nico managed to beat me when I attempted to pull out my money before him. I'd given him a glare from the depths of hell but he still continued to hand the money over, the cashier graciously accepting.

We'd gone down to the beach and I reached into the bag before grabbing one of the books and beginning to read the small writing on the yellowing pages. The sun is beautiful against my skin and I let myself get lost in both the rays and the words.

If my mother and I were getting along, I'd say that this would be one of the most peaceful times of my life. That this holiday was truly something wonderful to remember.

"Incantevole," Nico says and my eyes flicker to him. He brings his hand to my thigh and butterflies swarm me.

"And what does incantevole mean?" I ask.

"Enchanting," he replies and every drop of oxygen leaves my lungs. Faint electricity buzzes through my veins and I realise how truly invested I am in this man. "I want to take you to dinner," he suddenly drops into the conversation.

Beaming at him, I can't help but admire his forwardness. "Are you asking me on a date?" I tease and his tongue pokes the inside of his cheek as he smiles.

"Maybe..." Nico trails off and I find that the want to kiss him multiplies with each breath.

"I mean there was this other date I was going to go on but I suppose-" I am cut off when a squeal breaks out of me. Nico lunges towards me, tickling my waist and the summer air is filled with my laughter. "Nico!" I laugh and he joins me.

However, my laughter is cut off when his lips crash against mine. I thank the heavens that we're at a more secluded section of the beach as he rolls on top of me. Opening my mouth, I let his tongue slide against mine - deepening the kiss.

Nico takes the book out of my hand before putting it down next to us on the sand, still kissing me the entire way. Twisting us, so that I am on top of him, I smile down at those blue eyes.

"Why do you look at me that way?" Nico sits up, his arms wrapping around me, holding me tight to his chest. I attempt to act oblivious, but I know exactly what he is referring to.

"Your eyes... they're incantevole," I grin, feeling the blush rising in my cheeks. I've never had someone make me blush to this extent. "But, that's not all that is enchanting..." I suggest and Nico laughs, pressing another sweet kiss to my lips.

His hands tighten. "You are going to get yourself into trouble talking like that," he whispers and the idea of trouble seems to intrigue me more.

Resting my forehead against his, I close my eyes. "In trouble with who... or what, exactly?" I goad him on before opening my eyes again. Nico shifts my hips and the only thing I can feel is the hardness beneath me.

"In trouble with the said enchanting thing," Nico's voice is deeper, darker and I want to melt right there and then. "It's a shame we're str-" I cut him off, placing my hand over his mouth.

Giving him a sweet smile, I shift my hips. "You'd have to be blind to think this is strictly platonic. Besides, this doesn't feel very friendly."

Eventually, I take away my hand - giving him the chance to speak upon the matter. However, the words never come, he only looks into my eyes.

Dinner with Nico. Excitement, but also anxiety floods my veins. We'd always done things casually, there was never a label on the things we did. Date. I never knew the place or the time, but now that I know... I find myself craving a surprise instead. At least it would take the edge off.