Chapter Eight

The rest of the evening was spent catching up, telling stories, and full of laughter. It got so late by the time that we were leaving that Nico's parents offered for us to stay.

I was begging that my parents or, at least, Vienna and Terrone would graciously decline their offer but their response was filled with many thank yous.

"Yes, Heidi can stay with Nico and there are two guest bedrooms. It'll be a tight squeeze but it's better than going home at this time of night," Mila says and I wait for someone to speak up, to go against the idea of me sharing a bed with Nico.

Someone object, please!

Tilting my head back, my eyes are berated with stars. Glistening and sparkling. I think about the fact that the stars I am seeing now are from years, upon years, ago. Despite the sun disappearing from the sky, the atmosphere still radiates warmth and humidity.

"I'm beyond tired, we best be going to bed," my mother speaks up and I nod. I'm not nearly as tired as I should be but I could do without looking like a zombie upon my awakening tomorrow.

Mila leads the way, trailing through the house, as my father and Lorenzo stay back to tidy up. I feel like a stuffed pig as I attempt to walk up the stairs, everyone else following behind. The food was too good and I had eyes much bigger than my stomach.

Nico and I cut away from the crowd as we turn right at the top of the stairs and everyone else turns left. The houses here seem to be much bigger on the inside than they appear on the outside. It is truly deceiving.

"Nico, be a gentleman, and take the floor," Mila calls out and Nico laughs. It's almost like I can breathe again when he calls back with his agreement. He said it himself, that he was a gentleman  and Nico seems to be a man of this word.

When we enter Nico's room, I notice the smell of pine mixed with aftershave - a smell that I most certainly do not protest against. Although, I am surprised due to the lack of personalisation. You can tell that his room is lived in but not who by. The bed is a simple wooden frame, with dark blue sheets and a woven blanket laid out at the foot. The walls are plain white and untouched. The floors are the same hardwood that I am sure will give Nico a terrible pain in his back.

It's full of furniture but also so... empty.

"I'll get you something more comfortable to sleep in. There should be a spare toothbrush you can use in the bathroom," Nico says as he rifles through his drawers, taking things out as he goes.

Looking to my left, I stare out of the window and onto the town. Small lights in the distance keep the city aglow. I'm not sure I could ever grow bored of this sight. Each time I see it, it only becomes more beautiful.

Nico hands me a pile of clothes and I thank him before leaving and heading for the bathroom. I get changed into the t-shirt and shorts and brush my teeth with the spare toothbrush I found packaged in the bottom drawer.

Leaving the room, I end up crossing paths with my father. "That's an interesting attire," he raises his brows and I roll my eyes.

"Let's hope the house gets some sleep tonight with mum's snoring," I change the subject away from me wearing Nico's clothes. My father laughs before shaking his head.

"She's already out like a light," his smile falters slightly.

"Is she okay? She seems... I don't know, off?" I ask and he nods his head.

"Your mother is fine, kiddo." Even at the ripe age of eighteen, I am stilled called kiddo. "Now, no funny business tonight otherwise I'm gonna have to hold a meter stick between the both of you," my father threatens but I laugh.