Chapter Twenty Nine

"How are you feeling?" Nico asks as we take steady steps down the rickety stairs. I would give my life to walk down these stairs every day, never to have to imagine what it'll be like to not worry about breaking my neck with every step. A growing resentment towards my hometown settles within me and I huff.

"I'm okay. This headache is trying to maim me though," I say, letting out a small laugh. Nico smiles before pressing a kiss to my temple.

"Hopefully this will take your mind off of it," he says and my heart swells with excitement. A foreign feeling. The lack of anxiety almost makes me concerned for myself. What has this man done to me?

"...And where exactly are we going?" I ask as we move towards the marina. In the distance several people are seated on the beach, a few boats bobbing freely upon the waves. The setting sun casts a golden glow on the town before us.

Nico doesn't answer me until we are within reach of the ocean. "A lantern ceremony," he informs me and I can't help my bright smile. "We let them go with our wishes for the future."

"That's beautiful," I say, just above a whisper. His hand squeezes mine as he leads me down onto the beach and towards a table full of lanterns.

The small woman hands us one, giving us a warm smile. When Nico leads me away from the beach, I furrow my brows. Nico soon notices my confusion and only smiles. It's when I realise we're walking towards the docks that both anticipation and that familiar anxious feeling return.

"Now, amore mio, I know you hate boats but I'll be here with you," those blue eyes meet mine and any worries and anxieties seem to dissipate.

When we're met with a quaint boat, Nico places the lantern into the craft before his hands meet my waist. He raises his eyebrows as if to say ready? Nodding, I close my eyes and squeal when he lifts me into the boat. My eyes refuse to open until I'm safely sat in the wooden craft.

"See, not so bad?" Nico laughs and my eyelids finally peel open. Nico carefully gets into the boat - with much more grace, might I add. I watch as his hands skilfully untie the rope from the anchor and he pushes us away from the docks.

Others are bobbing along the water, the sky presenting us with wondrous oranges and yellows. "Has anyone ever told you how romantic you are?" I smile and Nico shakes his head, bashfully. If it weren't for the growing darkness I'm sure I'd be able to see his cheeks flush.

"I can't say that I've ever gone to these extents with someone before so, I couldn't tell you," he shrugs and the idea that I'm the first to experience this makes my heart swell in my chest.

I can only hope that I am also the last.

Nico opens the lantern and pulls out a lighter. "And what do you wish for, Niccolo?" I say and he looks up, his eyes meeting mine.

"I mean... there is this one girl who I've fallen so in love with that I feel like I can't breathe when she's not near. I guess I could wish for a future where there's nothing but her and me and there would be no distance separating the both of us. But, I don't know it's not that much of a big deal, you?" Nico says with mock nonchalance.

"Well, there is this one guy who's quite literally turned my world upside down and he's the only reason I've been able to survive this trip. I suppose I could wish for all of the pressures of my life to just disappear so I could spend the rest of my life with him, living without worry and in his arms but it's not that big of a deal," I shrug and Nico let's out a small laugh.

"Hm... I must meet this guy you're talking about," Nico says and I nod my head.

"I'm sure you'd love him, he's an excellent cook and is beyond romantic," I point out as Nico lights the lantern. The material glows a bright orange and people on the beach begin to count down from ten.