Chapter Two

Vernazza is like nothing I have ever seen before. Looking down from the hillside, the quaint town is filled with buildings painted a plethora of pastel colours - yellows, greens, oranges, pinks. A small sandy beach perches at the far end of the town, leading onto an ever-blue ocean that I simply cannot tear my eyes away from. The beaming sun shines down onto the glistening sea, making it look as though the waves are thick with glitter. Scorching heat drifts against my cheeks as the town below roars with life. Faded sounds of laughter and engines of mopeds fill my senses, creating a cacophony of noise.

I am completely and undeniably enraptured.

"Heidi, you're so grown up!" a voice slices through my thoughts. My head snaps in the direction of the voice and my eyes meet with the warm brown ones of Auntie Vienna. Before I can even take a step in her direction, she encases me in a tight hug.

"Vienna!" I squeal, my bright smile evident in my voice. "It's been so long." She pulls back and holds me by my shoulders.

"What a beautiful woman you have grown up to be," her fingers sift through the ends of my brown hair. My uncle then steps into her place and pulls me into another embrace. I hug him tight and relish in the feeling of being reunited with them all.

"How are you?" my uncle sings as he pulls away and moves to stand beside my aunt. He flashes me a bright smile as his arm loops around Vienna's waist. I've always envied the love they have for each other... my love life hasn't been as fruitful as I would have hoped. Well, other than Ambrose... but that's a story for another time.

"I'm good," I smile. "You both?" I question and they give each other a side glance. I feel that there is something going on here that I am out of the loop with. I give them a questioning look. Everyone else exchanges formalities before they answer.

"You tell them, I'm afraid I'll cry if I do," Vienna pushes and Terrone shakes his head. Concern fills me. Everyone falls silent around us, despite the other tourists bustling and grabbing their luggage from the coach.

"We agreed that you would tell them, honey," Terrone says and tightens his hold on her, hugging her to his side. "Fine, we'll tell them together," Terrone gives into my aunt's stubbornness and throws a broad grin our way.

"...We're expecting!" they both say in unison, voices full of nothing but pure joy and Terrone kisses her cheek. I can't help the tears that burn in my eyes as I hold Vienna in another hug.

"Congratulations!" I beam.

"Thank you, thank you," Vienna says, and I swallow the ball of emotion rising in my throat. This is great. I am over the moon for them. They've both always talked about how much they have wanted children and now that it has finally come true, I can't help but be full of absolute rejoice. "Enough of that," she says when she notices the tears in my eyes.

"Time waits for no man. We'll show you to the townhouse and you can make yourselves comfortable. You all must be awfully tired after the flight. I'm assuming Michelle dragged you all out of bed long before the crack of dawn," Terrone looks towards my mother and I laugh.

"I like to be prepared and we all got here in one piece so that must say something," my mother smiles towards her brother and I can already tell this getaway is going to be something special.

"Come on, get in," my uncle gestures towards the pick-up truck and my eyes go wide. "Throw yourselves and your suitcases in the back, Vienna and I will be in the front," he laughs when his gaze meets mine - obviously finding humour in my facial expression.

Before I can utter another word, Nancy drags me towards the truck. "Come on, Heidi!" she shouts, and my mother lifts her into the back. We all clamber in along with our things and the engine starts. Several tourists watch the retreating truck as we drive away onto the rolling hills and towards the town.