III.

She woke up with the realization that her life had changed drastically in a matter of hours. Now she faced transitions that she wasn't sure she could handle.

Sarah had brought her home last night. She didn't remember too much after she got home. She still had her clothes on, even her jacket when she woke up on the couch. The day had drained her. She did remember she had to go to the farm today for some papers and such and had arrangements to make. She got up, made a call for some days off, and then went about getting herself together.

A shower, clean clothes, and some coffee help a little. As she sipped on the second cup she worked on the list of things she needed to do. First on the list was going to the farm house. She really didn't look forward to the trip. Her mom wouldn't be there. Sarah was going to drive her out there before she went to the café so she wouldn't have to ride the bus. She insisted, promising to come back and go with her to make the funeral arrangements this afternoon. She pushed herself to eat but half a piece of toast was her only accomplishment. Sarah would not be happy if she knew. Well, she just wouldn't tell. She cleaned up her mess and then waited for this day, this nightmare to begin.

She wasn't in a very talkative mood as they drove to the farm. Sarah was reciting memories from childhood that she had shared with her best friend Karen. Krysta had heard them all before but pretended to listen so as not to be rude.

The house hadn't changed much at all since she was a kid. Sarah dropped her off, promising to be back by two o'clock. She paused a second or two before going up the stairs and letting herself into the house.

She didn't come out here very much. Usually, mom would meet her in town. She remembered how it was mom's idea that she moved into town to be closer to her job and to be around more people. Krysta never had many friends, never a best friend. She knew mom worried about her loner daughter. She had protested but Mom insisted it was for the best. She didn't miss the farmhouse, not really, she never felt at home there even though she didn't really feel at home in town, in the apartment, either. She'd never really felt at home anywhere before. She dropped her jacket and purse on the couch.

She walked around touching, and fingering things, photographs, and Knick Knacks. She knew she had to stop reminiscing so much and look for the things she came to find. She took a deep breath before she opened the door to her Mom's bedroom. As expected, everything looked perfect and in place. Mom was for lack of better words an order or neat freak. Thoughts were on important papers and where she would put them. She opened the closet door. Her clothes hung there as if waiting for her to come back and wear them.

She found some file boxes on a shelf above. She pulled them down and set them on the bed. She started to sit down with them to look through them but felt too uncomfortable to do it. She scooped up the boxes and went back to the living room and began to look through them on the couch. As she figured everything she might need would be there. There was her birth certificate, marriage license, grandpa's death certificate, insurance papers, divorce papers, a list of wishes for what to do when she died, and a will. Her mom was thorough about details. She put all these papers into a folder to take with her except the list.

The list began by saying she wanted to be cremated. Sarah and Krysta already knew that. Mom had mentioned it often over the years. She asked for a small service at the little church nearby with organ music and just a few flowers, nothing fancy.

The paper task was done. Now she had a personal quest. She glanced at the closet near the front door. If one was a coat she thought that might be the first place to look. She was sure it was still here, there was just no way she would have gotten rid of it.

There were coats in there, mom's coats, and some other random things. She was disappointed to not find it there. The only other place she could think of to look was her old room.