If Nothing Else

The only time anyone ever talks about a place feeling alive is if it's haunted - it breathes, it sleeps, it feeds. Unlike the unlucky ones, Hogwarts felt very much alive, but it was with somber sighs and melancholy words of departure for Albus Dumbledore. Some students left before the ceremony, but for the many who stayed behind to pay their respects banded together, breathing life back into the castle they call home, if only out of respect for the man who made it so.

Aster and Io sat towards the front beside their uncle who remained stern as always as he looked upon the stone table where his friend and mentor of many years lay still and cold. The gold chairs arranged in front of the Black Lake gleamed in the sun's rays, casting a glow across the grounds. The haunting cries of the Merpeople echoed through the trees. There were many people in attendance, though the girls felt no need to wonder who they were. Albus Dumbledore, after all, was a friend to many and respected by thousands.

The bittersweet cries of a phoenix sent shivers down Io's spine, feeling the blue void of sadness and loss seeping into her skin. She held her sister's hand throughout it all, both of them knowing that while the songs and the tears were for the man before them, it also meant the end of the long journey that began for them so many months ago on a bumpy train ride through Scotland. Never once did they ever think this would be how everything would end.

Then again, this was just the beginning.

When the funeral processions had come to a close, friends met friends, strangers met strangers. The proud, warm glow of unity washed over the crowd, now more than ever willing to push through the sadness and meet someone new if only to provide a shoulder to cry on. When Altair joined the other members of the Order, Aster and Io walked to the edge of the lake to take in the beautiful sight that graced their memories.

"I never realized how beautiful it is here." Aster wanted to smile, but the weight on her conscience was too heavy. "To think I walked here every morning, but only now I really see how wonderful this place is."

"Do you miss Ilvermorny at all?" Io sighed.

"Actually, no."

"Neither do I."

Neither of the twins dwelled on the first thoughts they had on that train to Hogwarts. Back then, their minds were blank, a clear slate only focused on one thing, and from the moment they walked through the doors to the Great Hall, it seemed as if everything snowballed forward and down until it was a great avalanche crashing into the town below. All those months ago when Uncle Altair came to them about the young Seer in his class, they never expected anything like this. So many emotions, so many thoughts, but no doubts at all that this is where they were meant to be. Ilvermorny had helped them grow, but Hogwarts was where they came into their own - two young women ready to fight until the end for the ones they loved.

It was here that Aster discovered herself in all the questions and curiosities shared between friends, and it was here that Io, despite all the faces she'd turned away in the past, learned that there was a magic in love that ultimately no one could really understand.

As the twins held hands, solemnly standing at the water's edge, Io let the foreboding cloud of fear melt away and into the atmosphere if only for a moment of peace.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were standing a few feet away, talking amongst themselves. When Ron was called away by his sister, the twins nodded to each other and walked over, joining the two friends who greeted them with soft smiles.

"Hey," Aster put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Can we talk?"

Hermione nodded and followed after her to the edge of the forest where no one could hear them. "Are you alright? I mean... your arm."