Blue Eyes, Green Tapestries

When Io opened her eyes the morning after the Sorting ceremony, all she could see was green, emerald green

When Io opened her eyes the morning after the Sorting ceremony, all she could see was green, emerald green. It was everywhere - the walls, the curtains, the bed sheets. She always loved this shade of green, so it made the room feel a little less temporary and more like a safe haven. Aster was already sitting up in bed, her blonde hair fastened in two braids that sat on her shoulders.

"Did you sleep at all?" Aster prodded through hazy eyes.

"A bit." Io lied. She tossed and turned for hours, and maybe there was a moment just before the sun rose that she actually fell asleep for a bit. Sleeping in new places was always difficult for her. She always felt like she needed to be on edge in case someone came crashing through the door. "We should go downstairs for breakfast."

Io stood up and reached for the clean Hogwarts uniform that was laid out on top of her trunk. It was definitely different than the uniform at Ilvermorny but mostly in color. She actually preferred this one. It was darker, more neutral.

"Do they care about what shoes you wear here?" Aster kicked the side of her boots that had been messily thrown beside her bed.

Io almost laughed at the innocence of the question. She pulled out a pair of modest looking black loafers from under the bed and sighed, "Deal with the loafers or risk getting called out on a uniform violation on your first day, sis. I'd like to think they expect the best of us - aside from expecting a surprise every now and then."

The twins got dressed in silence as the dormitory slowly emptied out. Some of the girls stayed in the common room to gossip or study before their first class. Alongside them, a huddle of first years wandered around the common room, looking a little lost before the Slytherin prefect called them over to walk them to the Great Hall. Io and Aster followed a few paces behind.

The Great Hall was truly a grand sight. The tables were filled with trays of toast, jams, and smoked ham. Goblets full of orange juice, milk, and coffee filled in the empty spaces.

Aster led the way to an empty section in the middle of the Slytherin table. There were many people sitting already, casting more looks in their direction, as if waiting for something to happen.

"Hi, there." A tall boy with brown hair and broad shoulders stood up with his hand out before they could sit. "Theodore Nott. I realize you didn't get properly welcomed to Slytherin house yet. A couple of stunning birds like yourselves deserve more than an applause." He flashed a crooked smirk as Aster shook his hand without comment.

He held out his hand next to Io, and she obliged despite the bitter taste in her mouth. "Birds?"

"Right - you two are from America. Here it means - "

"It means girls - women - sorry. Blaise Zabini." Blaise stood up in a rush before Theo could say anything else.

The familiar glare of Pansy Parkinson suddenly appeared beside them as she bumped her way to a seat. "Give it a rest, Blaise. You, too, Theo. Just because you have two new toys to play with doesn't mean they're safe to handle."