Gasoline

Following the harrowing hours of going through memories, Dumbledore notified the professors that the twins would not be attending classes this week. It seemed like the only reprieve he could provide, time away from any burdens outside of what they now knew they were meant to do. At first, they slept. They laid in bed, in between sleep and reality, tossing and turning, each in their own world hoping to escape this one. Pansy and Blaise would do what they could, bringing snacks back to the dormitory or popping a head in to see if they were alright. No one inquired about the cause of their lethargy.

Aster was the first to snap out of the shock. She didn't want to be in the dormitory or in the castle, so she walked to the Black Lake every morning. She left Io to her thoughts, knowing that she had a lot to think over.

The tangled forest smelled like spring, damp and warm. Aster would sit, feet just at the water's edge, for hours until one morning, she decided it was time to prepare.

Unlike her sister, Aster had only ever spoken to Harry briefly. She knew that ever since the incident in the bathroom, he would be weary of her and rightfully so. Despite that, she was willing to pretend like it didn't even happen. She needed to know more about the group - Dumbledore's Army - that she'd inevitably join and teach until the time was right. Dumbledore gave her the condensed version of everything that happened at the Ministry last year, how the Death Eaters attacked Harry and his friends, and how Harry had gathered over a dozen students to teach them how to defend themselves against the Dark Arts. Aster only recognized a handful of names: Luna Lovegood, Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, to name a few.

She pushed the thoughts of being separated from Io out of her head, knowing that the least she could do was keep Hogwarts safe as best as she could while Harry, Hermione, and Ron did what they had to do.

Someone's footsteps snapped a branch behind her. She turned slowly, ending up face to face with someone she'd only ever heard about in passing.

"Neville, right?"

The boy nervously smiled, waving his hand weakly. He held a stack of books in the other, precariously placed. Aster just watched as he fumbled, books falling to the ground one after the other.

Aster stood, taking one of the books and handing it back to him but not before reading the cover. "Winogrand's Wondrous Water Plants?"

Neville nodded, taking the textbook silently. "You're Aster. I saw you duel Pansy."

"I am, and I did." Aster held her hand out, and he shook it clumsily. "Hey, you're... You're friends with Harry, right?"

He nodded again.

"I hope this isn't a well-kept secret, but I recently heard about something called... Dumbledore's Army."

Neville started to look nervous, but Aster did her best to reassure him.

"I'm only asking because I want to join."

"Well, we haven't... really done much since last year. I don't know how much I should be telling you this."

"No, it's okay! I get it. I wanted to speak to Harry about it at dinner tonight, but I figured I would, y'know, ask you. I suppose this is a little weird since we've never spoken before." Aster was able to laugh just a little for the first time in days. "I'm not nearly as ferocious as a Venomous Tentacula, but I can duel. I can definitely duel."

She could tell he appreciated the nod to his affinity to Herbology. While he was not part of the photos they studied before coming to Hogwarts, she learned from Dumbledore what happened to his parents. Bellatrix Lestrange was a name she wouldn't soon forget, and she crossed her fingers that Io would not get on her bad side.